Space

Maya's POV

I called Riley nonstop for 20 minutes until I came to a realization that she's probably never going to talk to me again.
16 missed calls

I decided to send her a text just to see if she might respond to that instead.

Peaches: Hey. I'm so so sorry, I never meant to get with Lucas. I'm a horrible person and I understand if you never want to talk to me again. I love you and I never want to break our friendship. It was stupid and I can't take it back even though I wish I could.

I put my phone away and laid in my bed, I stared at the ceiling for like half an hour until I heard my phone buzz. I immediately picked it up and read the message.

Riles: Does he make you happy?

Peaches: what?

Riles: I'm not stupid, Maya. I see the way he looks at you. I've known it for a long time but I ignored it because I didn't want it to be true. I know that you two are pretty much perfect for each other. I need a bit of space to wrap my head around all of this tho. I'll let you know when I'm ready to talk again.

Peaches: I'm so sorry, I never meant to hurt you.

Riles: You stepped back for me. I know you stepped back. For almost 3 years you buried your feelings. I also know that me and Lucas dating killed you. It took a while but I realized that and I know I was selfish. I don't want to keep you two apart, so I'm stepping back now.

Peaches: I expected you to be furious and never talk to me again.

Riles: Me too honestly, but I guess I realized that I never really loved Lucas. I loved the thought of Lucas, the thought of my knight in shining armor. I need some space though, I may not be angry, but I'm still heartbroken.

Peaches: Ok. I love you honey

Riles: Love you too peaches

Wow. That went 10 times better than I expected. She wants me and Lucas to be together? After he cheated on her with me? That doesn't feel right. I mean I'm gonna give her some space, but I need to make sure she's ok. Maybe Farkle would be better to check in on her. I scrolled through my contacts and called him.
Ring ring ring

Farkle: Hello?

Maya: Hey, so turns out Riley isn't mad?

Farkle: What? How?

Maya: I don't know, but there's gotta be something wrong. She wants me to give her space and I want to respect that so would you do me a favor and check in on her and look out for her?

Farkle: Of course. Ya know even when you completely break your best friend, you find a way to show that you care. Lucas must be really important to you, huh?

Maya: Yeah...

Farkle: I'll take your place in the "Riley Committe" I guess, I'll make sure she's ok.

Maya: Thanks Farkle, Love you

Farkle: Love you too, talk to you later

Maya: Bye

I ended the call and a wave of relief washed over me. I texted Lucas and told him everything. He was just as surprised as I was, but he seemed excited that Riley was ok with us being together. I don't know though, I don't want to hurt her more. Maybe she's right though, maybe I deserve to feel whatever I'm feeling for once.