CHAPTER 9

Little Clarice sobbed quietly as she hid in her bedroom closet. She began to scream cry as the rancher swung the closet door open dragging her out as Clarice tried grabbing onto the door frame, but her hands were too little to keep a firm grip. The rancher threw Clarice onto the bed and began to hit her.
   "Please, stop!" Clarice screamed as the rancher began to unzip his pants as he held her down.
Clarice woke up and sat up quickly to the sound of lightning— she was covered in sweat and was breathing heavily as she looked out her window.
   She stared out the window for a few more seconds before hiding her face in her hands and crying. She sniffled and wiped her tears away, running her hands through her tangled hair as she got up.
     Clarice walked downstairs into the kitchen and turned on the light above her sink before grabbing a glass and heading to the fridge to get some ice and water. She stood in front of the sink and turned on the back porch light as stared out the window while watching the rain. She sipped her water and mid sip she glanced over at her wind chime that had been removed and laid nicely on her patio table. She walked over to the back door and went to unlock it but it was already unlocked.
   "Shit," she whispered to herself.
   She forgot to lock the door but she knew it was too late.
   She sat her glass down quietly and grabbed a steak knife. Clarice jumped and turned around when she heard something get knocked over in the living room, the tv and tape turning on.
She tipped toed towards the living room, her heart pounding out of her chest as she gripped the knife tightly. She started to panic, her breathing began to get more rapid as she turned on the living room lamp and found no one. She blinked rapidly as she walked to the tv, tears forming in her eyes from fear as she felt her legs were about to give out from underneath of her.
   She stood in front of the tv, peeking over her shoulder as she heard something shuffle behind her. She spun around quickly and saw nothing. She let out a sigh as her chest heaved up and down, gulping down a breath as she tried to remain quiet. She went into the kitchen with the knife still in her hand as she grabbed her water and headed upstairs.
Clarice walked into her room, locking her door and checking under her bed and her closet. She sat her water down and grabbed her gun from her drawer, sitting it beside her along with the knife. She knew Hannibal wouldn't hurt her, but what were the odds.
  She stared at the door in the darkness when she heard the tv turn off and the click of both the lamp and kitchen light switches being turned off. Clarice wanted to flee and hide, but she couldn't. She couldn't move. She was frozen.
   She reached over slowly, grabbing her gun when she heard footsteps coming up the stairs. She chewed on her lip in fear as she heard him outside the door picking the lock. She got up slowly and walked to the door as much as she didn't want to and opened it.
Clarice stood there with her head against the door, trying to avoid eye contact. She looked up at Hannibal with tears in her eyes, his hand gently touched her face as he wiped away a tear.