CHAPTER 22

"I must congratulate you on catching Catherine and Tommy," Chilton said as he scooted his chair in. Clarice eyebrows knitted.
      "How did you know that? The media didn't get any coverage of the story yet?" Clarice took another bite.
"Saylor told me." Clarice almost choked as Chilton grabbed a slice of pie.
"Pardon?" Her chest got tight as she stared at him.
"She came to visit the asylum the other day when Jack called about the badge, she was asking all these weird questions about the case, if I knew anything. I told her I didn't and she said she'd keep me updated." Clarice's blood began to boil.
       "She was part of the case?" Clarice couldn't believe what she was hearing.
       "Mhm hmm," he nodded as he shoved pie into his mouth. "I'm guessing you didn't know," Chilton smirked, chuckling as he still had food in his mouth.
   Clarice grabbed her wine glass, chugging the rest and poured more, sipping it when she saw Hannibal creeping down the steps, a large knife in his hand. She looked back at Chilton unable to move, her chest heaving up and down.
       "No!" she shouted at Hannibal, Chilton looked at her confused. She swallowed hard. "No, I didn't know," she whispered softly as tears formed, Hannibal getting closer.
   She sat there in complete shock when Hannibal stood behind Chilton, his teeth showing, his eyes wide. She never seen this side of Hannibal before and it absolutely terrified her.
      "This cherry pie is absolutely phenomenal!" Chilton spit out a few crumbs as he talked, Clarice's blood ran cold. She looked Hannibal, then back at Chilton. "Clarice, I was wondering, if we get drunk off this wine, if I could eat your cherry pie?" Chilton winked.
   He got up, Hannibal stepping back a bit as he watched this grotesque man make his way to his woman. Chilton leaned down and placed a kiss on Clarice's cheek.
      Clarice eyes widened as Hannibal's hand came around Chilton's neck, slitting his throat, blood spraying everywhere, splattering on Clarice's face. She gasped loudly as she continued to watch in horror, Chilton gagging on his own blood as it began to come out of his mouth, holding the slit in his neck.
   He looked behind his shoulder then back at Clarice, collapsing in her lap. Clarice screamed in fear as she shoved Chilton off her, Hannibal grabbing him. Chilton was still alive as he began bleeding out quickly, but not quick enough. Clarice grabbed Hannibal's arm trying to pull him off Chilton as began he cutting his throat a bit deeper.
   "Hannibal! Stop it! Stop!" Clarice cried as Hannibal threw her over his shoulder and locked her in the laundry room.
   He turned on the TV, turning it to an opera channel, turning the volume up all the way to block out Chilton's horrendous screams in order not to scar Clarice. She screamed and cried as she banged on the laundry room door, begging for Hannibal to stop.
    A few moments later, silence filled the house.