CHAPTER 19

Clarice walked down the corridor to Jack's office, opening the door with the key he had given her. She knew the only reason he gave it to her was because he loved her, simple as that.
     She closed the door behind her, locking it before walking to Jack's desk. She sat down in his chair and began going through files, her eyes automatically went straight to Catherine's case file as she was going through his top desk drawer.
   She grabbed it and opened it, looking through to see who was involved in the case. She saw herself and Ardelia crossed from the list, Will being the only one remaining. She couldn't believe Jack, he really kicked her off the case along with Agent Mapp. She continued to flip through the file and found nothing.
   She sat back in the chair after tossing the file aside and just sat there, moving side to side in the swivel chair as she clicked her tongue on the roof of her mouth making up a rhythm as she began to think of reasons why Jack would drop her and Ardelia like that. She smiled when she saw Saylor's file and opened it, flipping through it.
      Clarice jumped when she heard Jack's voice in the distant. She quickly putting everything back where it was and pushed his chair in as she frantically grabbed her things. Her heart was pounding as she tried to find a place to go but she was trapped. There was no windows, no extra door, just a small closet. She went towards the closet quickly and got inside praying to God he didn't have a coat with him. She listened as he came inside and dialed the phone.
        "Hey, thank you for helping Will and I," Jack said softly.
   Clarice listened, but it wasn't on speaker. Who the hell helped him?
    She listened some more only to hear Jack hanging up the phone and leaving the office again. She slowly got out and peeked out the closet doors, getting out quietly. It was dark, which meant he had left for the night. She walked over to his desk, tripping over the chair.
    "Fuck," she said through her teeth as it made a loud sound.
   She got her shit together and looked at the caller ID. She wrote the number down and put it in her purse and left the room quickly.