Chapter 13- Secrets

Branch's POV

"Stay here Pinkie, I'll find a clearing to set up a campsite," I told her.

"Okay," she said, smiling nervously. I walked quickly into the forest before me. I couldn't get the thought out of my head, her glowing hair! I wondered if she was the long lost sundrop...the one my grandmother told me about. I'd have to ask her later.

I walked around a tree to find a clearing perfect for our campsite. I ran back the way I came, hoping Poppy stayed put.

When I got there, she was gone! "Pinkie? POPPY?!" I yelled. I glanced around the area, hoping for a trail she might have accidentally left. Instead, I heard humming. I followed it along the river bank to find her sitting down, hugging her knees to her chest and sniffling. 

"Hey, you okay?" I asked, knowing full well she wasn't 

She wiped her nose. "No! I-I almost, it's my fault we we almost, I mean-"

"No it isn't. Neither of us knew there was a blocked exit in that cave, and I was the one who suggested it."

"But I dragged you into this," she lamented. Her little pet nudged her cheek, comforting her. I gently took her arm and pulled her up. 

"Come on, I found a campsite for us," I said, pointing in the direction. She just glanced at me, and with no warning, hugged me as hard as she could. I just stood there, uncertain how to react. She let go of me a minute later and went the way I pointed. 

Poppy's POV

We set up a campfire in the middle of the area we were camping in. 

"The fire's dying, I'll go get some more firewood," Branch said. 

"Okay," I replied. He was gone for a few minutes, and returned with and armload of branches. He put them down and winced. 

"Ow!" he yelped. 

"What?" I asked, concerned. "Oh your hand," I realized, remembering he'd cut it. 

"It's fine," he said.

"I can help," I said as he sat down.

"No, it's-"

"Let me help," I said stubbornly. 

"Okay," he shrugged. I began wrapping my hair around his injured hand. 

"I know it looks weird, but trust me," I said. 

He looked at me strangely. "Uh, okay,"

I took a deep breath and began to sing, letting my hair do its thing.

(Yeah, this is the worst sketch I've done, I spent 7, whole, minutes on it! XD I wanted to publish this, um yeah)

"Flower gleam and glow, 

let your power shine.

Make the clock reverse,

bring back what once was mine. 

Heal what has been hurt, 

Change the fate's design.

Save what has been lost,

bring back what one was mine.

What once was mine."

I opened my eyes as my hair's glow began to fade. Branch was looking at me strangely.

"...Okay?" he said. 

"Unwrap your hand," I said. He obeyed, and his face looked he's just seen a ghost. I knew it was completely healed. He quickly covered his expression with a bored look.

"Um, that's, very....interesting," he said. 

"Yeah," I said, leaning back a bit. "Creek says people wanted it for themselves, so he built a pod just for us to live in. He said my gift needs to be protected. So he never let me...That's why I never..."

"You never left that pod?" Branch finished. 

"Yeah," I sighed. Then I remembered what he told me in the cave. "So, you lost your colors when your grandma died?"

"Oh, well, um-" Branch began.

"It's okay, I won't tell," I reassured him. Petal nodded in agreement. He took a deep breath. 

"Okay. Well, Before my grandma died, she told us the history of our family. A long time ago, a rock of moon fell to the Earth, and from it sprouted an opal, a magical opal. The Moonstone. I could destroy and decay anything. Each troll who found it was given the responsibility of protecting it from the people who wanted its power. The last troll known to harness the power was Birch. A troll named Stream (Relative of Creek...) found it and wanted to use its power for personal gain. So Birch had to flee and hide the the Moonstone, and it passed down from generation to generation. Stream's descendants tried to find the Moonstone. Stream's plan was to find the Moonstone and the Sundrop and combine them. Then the power of the stars would be theirs."

"Whoa," I was not expecting this. I mean, how did this conversation even get here? But I decided to keep listening. Branch looked very uncomfortable, and began fiddling around with his fingers. 

"And, well, a few days before she died, my grandma told me all this." he glanced at me uncertainly. He reached into his hair and slowly pulled out a smooth, oval like rock. It was rounded and smooth.

 It was rounded and smooth

"She gave me this."

My breath caught. Somehow, without knowing, seeing, or hearing, I knew what this was, and I could feel my magic burning.

"The Moonstone," I breathed.

A/N I'm gonna split the campfire scene into two parts, mainly because I haven't updated. Hope you like the pictures, I haven't put any till now:) 

I think all you Tangled the Series crackheads have an idea of the Moonstone...