Ch. 4 "One Lie Could Cost Everything" - Motives

As I was leaving my hangout with Hisato, I heard the announcement ding dong ding dong over the speakers.

Monokuma: Testing 1,2,3! Okay then! Everyone please meet at the announcement room on the fourth floor be there or become a square.

The screens turned off.

Hisato walked out of his room.

Hisato: It can't be, can it?

Ari: Let's just get over with whatever he has planned.

Hisato and I walked up to the fourth floor together. Once we were there, we waited on everyone else to get there. After the nine of us were all there, the bear jumped up from behind the stand.

Monokuma: Well, hello there! Happy to see that everyone could make it! Now then, it is the time you have been waiting for...

Yuki: Don't tell me...

Monokuma: Motive time!

Nia: Seriously? We just got over the last murder.

Mikio: It doesn't matter anyways. None of us will fall your tricks.

Kazutaka: I don't know guys...

Monokuma: I don't believe everyone can survive with this motive!

Hisato: We'll see about that.

Ayano: What even is the motive?

Monokuma: The motive is your research labs!

Yorua: W-what?

Monokuma: Don't those labs remind you all of your old life outside of these walls. It's not the same life as it was out there.

Ari: That's seriously your motive?

Kogo: You couldn't have done, any better than that, you old bear?

Monokuma: You guys are really hurting my feelings with your insults. I'll have you know I worked hard on those labs.

Nia: Boohoo, so sad. Cry me a river, monochrome bear.

Monokuma: Not just yet, Nia. I have an idea of how to make this very interesting.

Yuki: Huh?

Monokuma: I have decided that to add on to this motive. Something more spicy.

Mikio: What could make this motive more appealing to us? Didn't you hear us we're not falling for your tricks!

Monokuma: So you say... but you just wait until you hear the new and improved motive.

Kazutaka: What is it?

Monokuma: Each day one of your research labs will taken away from one of you.

Ayano: What happens when all of our research labs are taken away?

Monokuma: That seems very unlikely to happen.

Hisato: But what if it does?

Monokuma: Well— I'll— One of you will cave by then!

Ari: So there's no consequence if none of us take the motive. How stupid is that?

Kogo: Yeah, what she said.

Monokuma: I can't believe you teenagers! I give you a wonderful opportunity to murder for, and none of you will supposedly take it. Fine then. As of today, Kazutaka's lab will be taken from him.

Kazutaka: Fine by me!

Monokuma: This is unbearable!

Yorua: L-leave the jokes to m-me!

Monokuma: Who needs you guys anyway?

Monokuma disappeared into thin air.

Hisato: Guess we don't have to worry about another murder.

Yuki: We'll all just have to pretend that we had never gotten the research labs in the first place.

Kazutaka: You all sure that no is interested in murdering?

Ayano: Positive.

Yorua: There r-really would b-be no point.

Nia: It's almost as if there is no motive at all.

Mikio: If anyone really misses their life on the outside, let us know, and I'm sure we will be able to help.

As everyone began to leave, a felt a tap on my shoulder.

Kogo: Here. Don't ask. I don't know anything.

On the note, it says...

Meet Hisato by his research lab in five minutes.

I guess I don't have much of a choice, and I trust Hisato. The only question is what could this be about? Once I was there, Hisato opened his door and walked outside.

Hisato: Happy you could make it.

Ari: Why did you want to talk?

Hisato: It's confusing. Do you have a minute to spare?

Ari: Sure. Why didn't you just say something while we were in the teachers' lounge or the announcement room.

Hisato: I wasn't sure I wanted to discuss it in the lounge, and I didn't want everyone to grow suspicious if the two of us were whispering.

Ari: Now that that's out of the way, what is the purpose of this secret conversation?

Hisato: What did Akihiko tell you?

Ari: Huh?

Hisato: After the third trial.

Should I tell Hisato the truth or should I tell him a lie?

Ari: Promise me this will stay between us.

Hisato: Of course, Ari. I trust you, and I hope you trust me.

Ari: Okay. Akihiko told me that is a traitor among us who is working with the mastermind.

Hisato: Oh my-

Ari: He also told me that he trusted the two of us to get the rest of the group out of here.

Hisato: That explains why you thought the two of us should place his flower in front of his door.

Ari: So what do we do, now?

Hisato: I'm not sure. All I know is that we can't inform everyone else. I think it is best if we keep this to ourselves and keep our guards up.

Ari: We should take this with a grain of salt. I'm okay with keeping my guard up. Akihiko could have been lying.

Hisato: That is always a possibility. The question is how did he find out?

Ari: All I know is that he was always by the library on his last days.

Hisato: I think I know where I'll be tomorrow. If you need me, I'll be at the library.

Ari: Okay.

Hisato: Thank you for talking to me. I appreciate it.

Ari: You're welcome. Hey Hisato.

Hisato: Yeah?

Ari: Be safe.

Hisato: Of course.

With that, the Nighttime Announcement played in the hallways. I retired to my dormitory for the night. I can't help but wonder who is the traitor? And who are the working for?