halloween

~*~

Mike was not expecting anyone other than his mother to be home when he returned, let alone El Hopper.

"What is she doing here?" Mike asked his mother, not addressing the other brunette.

"Hello to you too, Mike" El said.

"I ran into El at the store and I brought her here to borrow something. And I was thinking she could stay for dinner." Karen answered, shocking both teens with her statement.

Before El could even think about whether or not she should stay, Mike spoke.

"No. No way, I don't want her here."

"I'm sorry, did you leave your manners at the store? El is welcome here, always. And I would appreciate it if she would stay for dinner."

"Karen, no it's okay. My dad is on his way home anyway so I should probably get home. Thanks for the outfit. I'll see you both around."

El locked her gaze with Mike's as she strode past him and through the door

Mike knew when he turned his gaze back to his mother, he was in for at least a lecture.

I'm about to get my ass beat aren't I?

"MICHAEL WHEELER WHAT ASSHOLE HAVE I RAISED? YOU SHOULD NOT TALK THAT WAY IN REGARDS TO ANYONE, LET ALONE YOUR BEST FRIEND SINCE KINDERGARDEN!!!" Karen yelled, repeatedly smacking her son upside the head.

"I'm not gonna apologize mom. I didn't want her here, and I did not want her to believe for one second that I did, okay?" Mike reasoned.

"What the hell happened between you guys?! You refuse to tell me whenever I bring up her name and do you know all the hardships she's gone through since your friendship ended?"

"Oh yea I'm sure it was a real tear jerker when she needed someone to hold her purse while she tried on her prom dress. Sorry I wasn't there for that tragedy." Mike said, earning another, harder, slap upside the head.

"Michael, you don't understand a single thing that girl has gone through, and she sure as hell does not need your stank ass attitude on top of it. El may not be your friend anymore but she is mine. So you are just have to grow the hell up and face the music when she's over here." Karen said sternly

"I'M GONNA HAVE TO DEAL WITH HER AT THE INTERNSHIP TOO, SO FORGIVE ME IF I DON'T WANT TO SEE HER STUPID FACE MORE THAN I HAVE TO" Mike yelled exasperatedly.

"What are you talking about? I thought you got that internship."

"Yea well your precious friend is an idiot who got her paperwork screwed up at the university and since her and I have the same GPA and amount of recommendation letters, we were placed in the same program."

Karen slapped him again.

"STOP HITTING ME"

"NO. NO I WONT. STOP CALLING HER RUDE NAMES. I don't think you understand how heartbroken she was that she couldn't be there for you or me during the whole Ted incident. She wanted to see you, and me being the idiot I am, sent her away because you wished it. But I don't think you realize that you need her just as much as she needs you. If not more."

Mike went silent.

"You say more when you keep your mouth shut, Mike. You don't think I noticed you getting flushed when she would come over. Or you staring at her as if she was the only girl to exist. And that was when you were only 14 so I can only imagine how you see her now." Karen continued, only receiving silence from her son