Eighteen

•Sean•

          My phone buzzed which made me look away from my laptop to where it lay on my desk. I sighed picking it up and the caller ID came into view. What did he want from me this time? I felt some sort of guilt for thinking about him that way but he has really been pressuring me since the beginning of this year. It was his normal number,so I guessed he was in town again.

         "Hey Dad" I greeted bringing the phone to my ears.

          "You cant even feign a little  enthusiasm that I'm back Sean" he said probably detecting how dry my voice sounded when I picked the call.

          "Sorry Dad,I'm just really busy" I justified. I heard him huff before continuing. "I'll be staying at one of the penthouses this time so you dont have to worry yourself" he told me which sent relief washing through me. "Okay" I replied.

         "But Ariana's parents...." At the mention of her name,I found myself sighing heavily,Ariana again. "Dad,I thought we'd wrapped that up in the meantime" I complained throwing my head backwards.

          "We can't ever wrap it up until you get married Sean" he told me and I sighed again as he continued delivering his message. "Ariana's parents have invited us to a family dinner during the weekend and we have to attend of course"

           "Dad,arent you taking this too far,you cant even give me time to adapt. You're just forcing things on me" I told him calmly. I always tried my very best not to raise my voice at him because he could be overly sentimental,his long pause after this was a clear indication that he was taking what I'd said in a different way.

         "You know it's your mothers last wish Sean" he started lowly after his dramatic pause. "You know how much she wanted this,dont you want to do at least that for her?" He asked me. I hated when he played mom's card on me. He knew how much I hated remembering that it was her wish.

         "Fine Dad,I'll be there,just text me the details" I sighed repeatedly before hanging up. I started at the ceiling feeling as helpless as ever. Here I was,trying to handle the company, I was putting my all into producing this new brand. Instead of getting some word of encouragement or praise,much harder tasks were being dished to my plate. It was the first time I was letting this get to me and I knew it was going to keep getting to me from now on.

          I heard a few knocks from the other side of the door,just before Viola came in. She was going on and on about the review of something. My head pounded and I was in no condition to access what she was telling me.

           I'd told her I was okay after she asked me if I was. I found myself stopping her from leaving my office. For some reason or the other,I felt like I needed her prescence around me. I didnt think she'd want to stay but she stayed. She didnt know how much I relaxed under the soothing of her soft palms. "What's wrong?" Her light voice asked. I couldn't believe how fast my blood rushed through my body hearing her almost whisper. I could see all the sincerity in her features,the way her lips pursed into a slight smile.

      I slowly gained courage to talk to her, I didnt even know why I wanted to but I just did. She was the first person besides Caleb that I'd let so close into my life. People always thought that I had no problems because I was always cool about everything so they never bothered to ask. But she waited for me to say something,she increased my will to confide in her.

          Even though she'd given me the normal words of encouragement that anyone else would have given me,it felt different coming from her.  "So far so good Sean,you've done so good up till now and I know you'll continue to do good" Her exact words. It made me feel like I had someone on my side,someone that acknowledged how much I was working my butt off.