Fifty

•Viola•

         "Ariana,they're back!" Alaina called from the doorway to where I stood,leaning by the window. "I know" I whispered back as I gazed down the window,watching their car pull up before the house while pulling the sleeves of my black turtle neck over my palms. The night breeze had become overly chilly the past few days.

        "Dad is furious Ariana,why didnt you just leave?" She asked coming up to my side. "There's no point Alaina" I started looking to her. "If I leave,I'll be in danger of reporters and I cant even go back to living my life. It's better I just stay here" I told her ,folding my arms across my chest.

         "And get punished? They arent going to go easy on you this time Ariana" she replied desperately and before I could find a reply in my head,Dad's voice boomed through the silence of the house.

         "Ariana!! You'd better come down here this instant!!" He yelled. Empathy graced Alaina's features even more but I gave her a light smile before taking myself off the wall and heading for the door.

       Alaina gave off another sigh before following behind me as we headed down the staircase and to the little living room.

      I shut my eyes tight for a split second as I took hold of the door knob. "You can still back out of this Ariana" Alaina still tried to convince me.

       "Dont worry Alaina" I told her as I turned the knob and walked into the room. "I'm here Dad" I said as I walked to the middle of the room,earning his attention from where he sat in his normal chair and mum beside him.

        "What is wrong with you this girl?!!" He yelled the minute he set his eyes on me and I flinched. My gaze wandered everywhere but them,fear was creeping up my skin ever so rapidly. I'd never seen them this mad,not even when I'd requested a second identity.

         "Why are you such an ingrate?! What havent I done for you?! All you ever do is disgrace me! For years,your mother and I bore all the insults because you chose to always look like a clown before the cameras so you could live your life as a peasant!!" He spat at me. I shut my eyes tight as tears started welling up in my eyes.

         "Vince,calm down. Dont use harsh words on her"I heard mums voice trying to cajole Dad as I started taking in sharp breaths and shudder. I'd had nothing to eat for almost a day and a half and my body was seriously low on joules. I was stressed,both emotionally and psychologically. I should have known I wouldnt be able to bear this.

         "Oh my goodness!" Dad exclaimed as he slumped back into his seat and mum approached me with a tablet in her hand. "Explain yourself young lady,why did you have to do this?" She questioned with a stern face.

         In that very moment,I figured I had no explanation. There was nothing I would tell them that wouldnt land me a heavy punishment. "Dont let me repeat myself Ariana! Why did this happen?! What was so important they you had to go after him looking like some pauper?!" She yelled at me.

       Silent sobs seeped through me as tears began to stain my cheeks. "Answer me!" She yelled again making me flinch. My gaze continued to wander around until I finally looked to her. Her face was flushed red with anger so were her orbs. It was obvious that they were waiting for the slightest chance to punish me.

        "Mum...I..." I stuttered as my lips had started to quiver. "I...its...he..." I had no idea what I wanted to say but I kept trying to say something. "Less stuttering! More talking Ariana!" Dad yelled at me making me flinch again.

        "I dont know" I cried. "Its complicated" I told them in a lower voice. Mum scoffed as she took a few steps back,giving me the most scrutinizing gaze ever seen.