3

Several more days passed in the same fashion, but the faces of the recruits began to get tired and worried with the upcoming assessment. Some of them- mostly deltas- were complaining that they didn't have a day for rest between training and the assessment day because they would not perform their best due to losing energy over the weeks. Others were glad the assessment was so soon because their bodies were adjusted to the high energy tasks.

Comradeship grew between the recruits and they spent evenings drinking and playing cards. Wei Ying was the most alcohol-tolerant of them all, and on nights when they had drank a little too much, he was one of the few who were untamed by a hangover...

But one day, Wei Ying turned up late to training with a huge bruise on his jaw, a cut lip, a bent arm and a limp he tried to hide. He walked in, stumbling through the door, and sat on one of the benches with a wince, casting a glare at the boy named Jin Zixuan who was smirking alongside his group of idiots.

Wangji ignored the late entrance and finished instructing the groups on their practice for the day.

"Betas, head to the gun range, if you can't get ten hits in a row by the end of the day you'll stay here all night. Delta, head to the agility course. I expect you to finish under ten minutes."

The recruits headed off to their respective areas but froze when Wangji shouted.

"Zixuan! Join the delta group for today. Don't argue." he added with a glare when Zixuan began to open his mouth. The recruit grumbled but walked over to the agility course dejectedly.

"Alpha, follow me."

Wuxian pushed himself up from the bench with a wince and held onto his ribs as he followed Wangji out of the room. He gave Jiang Cheng a small smile when he cast over a worried look before shutting the door. He sent a silent message through his eyes begging the beta to not start anything.

"What happened?" Lan Zhan asked seriously as he took in Wei Ying's battered state.

"Nothing. I just-"

"Wei Ying."

"Fine. Jin Zixuan and his gang jumped me this morning and got in a few good hits. They said if I tell they'll kill me and I don't doubt them. Ah!"

Wei Ying felt a pain shoot through his calf and his legs gave way. He fell against the wall and Lan Zhan grabbed him before pulling him up, swinging an arm over his shoulder.

"Lan Zhan, you don't have to. You have a class to whip into shape."

"It won't matter if you're not there."

"Huh?" Wei Ying asked in confusion.

"The only reason half of those recruits work hard is because they want to be as good as you. Especially those in delta. They know they're at the greatest risk of getting cut but you give them hope and determination that they can pass if they work hard."

"Oh... They really think that?"

"Hm."

The walked down a few corridors until they reached an empty office. Lan Zhan helped Wei Ying sit on the couch before pulling a first aid kit from one of the shelves.

"Where are we?" Wei Ying asked as he looked around at the clean and pleasant room.

"My office."

"Why?"

"Well, would you rather walk across to the other side of the building to get to the nurse's office?"

"No." Wei Ying said and the pain in his leg worsened.