20

"You will all do handstands and remain so until I tell you to stop. The worse your actions, the longer you stand. Now, line up and handstand where I can see you. Wei Wuxian, you can go right here in the centre so I can keep an eye on you."

The boys remained silent as they stood in a line, moving out from either side of Wei Ying. The boy was looking down at the gravel ground and frowning at the idea of the small, loose rocks digging into his palms and fingers. He gave a small smile at Jiang Cheng before rubbing his hands together and going up into a handstand. One by one- some with a little trouble- the boys all stood up and the time began. Barely thirty seconds passed and Nie Huaisang began to tremble on his right side. Wei Ying turned his head to see past his arm, and saw the boy's face was red and shaking as his thin arms tried to support his body. 

"Nie Huaisang, get down. Any longer and you'll embarrass yourself. Wen Ning you too, for you did not participate badly." Qiren spoke as he walked over to the pair. 

Wei Ying saw relief enter his friends' faces and whilst Wen Ning stood up gracefully onto his feet, Nie Huaisang felt a wave of exhaustion flood through him and he tilted to the side; Wei Ying's eyes widened as he realised what was about to happen. He walked forwards on his hands a meter or so and Huaisang crumbled onto the floor where he was just standing. He sighed in relief as he looked back down to the floor in front of him, taking deep breaths to find his centre of balance.

"What is happening?" Lan Xichen spoke as he and Wangji appeared behind Qiren, both now fresh and clean.

"Their punishment. The length of time will equal to the severity of their actions. Two are finished." Qiren explained and Xichen nodded in understanding.

"And why is Wei Wuxian further forwards?" Xichen asked.

"I moved so I wouldn't get crushed by Huaisang." Wei Ying said with a steady voice, showing a comfortable exterior. 

"I see. I will go and get some water. Wangji, make sure they all keep their posture."

With a nod from his younger brother, and a nod to his Uncle, Xichen left to get the required refreshments and Wangji began to walk down the line and correct the recruits' posture by straightening or aligning legs and pushing in stomachs. The timer had reached five minutes when Qiren allowed another three boys to come down, and they managed to get up properly before sitting by the other two boys and waiting. 

Wangji reached the end of the line and made his way over to Wei Ying. Unlike the others, Wei Ying didn't remember- or more like couldn't care- to tuck his shirt into his trousers. So when Wangji placed a hand onto his torso to correct his posture, the older's hand made direct contact with his skin; Wei Ying felt the spot warm slightly but put it down to them being in the cold evening air. He didn't dare to look up at Lan Zhan- wanting to ask if he was okay after the food fight- in case he lost balance. 

Fifteen minutes: another two recruits. Jin Guangyao was amongst them and he gladly accepted a water bottle from Xichen, who had returned minutes before. Twenty minutes: Jiang Cheng and the last recruit were allowed down. Qiren looked on at Wei Ying- who was still looking down at the ground- with a glare, then back down to his wrist. At thirty minutes, everyone was surprised he was still standing and showed no signs of shaking or exhaustion. Even Jiang Cheng knew he had met his mark at twenty, but hid his gratefulness at being let up through a frowning face. The onlookers questioned if Qiren was ever going to let Wei Ying down when the Commander spoke:

"Wei Wuxian."

"Yes sir?" Wei Ying said, copying the same calm voice.

"Are you tired?"

"No."

"No?"

"Yes."

"Yes?"