23

The rest of the week was spent relaxing in their dorms and playing cards, drinking in the evening, and having a game of basketball during the day. Wei Ying was allowed to participate in the sports, and basketball can be added to the list of things he excelled at: he beat every recruit in a one-to-one game by a mile.

On the last day, the boys all woke up feeling nervous and worried as they dressed in their formal uniforms. They managed only a small breakfast before walking together quietly to the conference hall where they would be told who has passed training and will be joining the business as official agents. Wei Ying managed a joke or two to help lighten the tense atmosphere, but their laughs never lasted long. When they reached the hall, the recruits all wished each other good luck before walking in and sitting along the row of chairs. The room was silent as the boys wandered in their own thoughts, hoping that they succeeded but fearing their friends wouldn't.

As the clock hit the hour, the back doors opened and Commander Qiren, Agent Wangji and Agent Xichen entered with blank expressions as to not give anything away. Wei Ying made accidental eye-contact with Qiren and he could see the resentment visible in his invisible frown. The boy was hoping there would be some civility- or possibly even regret- from his actions, but Qiren seemed as hateful as ever. He sighed and leaned back in his chair, purposefully moving his gaze away from the platform holding three chairs.

"Recruits. Training has been difficult but it is necessary for the jobs we task you with. As the end has come, if you don't make it I am sure you will leave us as stronger and more resilient people who can do good in the world. Remember, if you do not join us this year you can try again next year. Do not be disheartened if your time is not now. Now, I will read out the four recruits who will be joining us. If your name is called make your way up to the platform and accept your badge, if not, when I am finished, please make your way back to the dorms and pack your bags. Let's begin."

The boys fell solemn as Qiren's speech ended, his words sinking in to each of them. Hearing their fate out loud made everything become real and not just a future event. This was it. Wei Ying looked to Jiang Cheng and gave him an assuring smile, confident they would both pass.

"Fourth place goes to... Nie Huaisang."

The small boy looked up from his seat in disbelief and stumbled when he stood up. Luckily, Wei Ying caught his arm and steadied him before he could make a fool out of himself, and for Qiren to regret his decision. Huaisang made his way up to the stage and accepted his badge with a blushing face before bowing to the brothers and making his way back to his seat.

"Third place... Wen Ning."

Wen Ning had a face of disbelief the entire time he stood up and walked onto the stage. When Wei Ying gave him a thumbs up from the chairs, the smallest smile appeared on his face as he made his way back down. Wei Ying knew the boy's abilities and he hoped that now, Wen Ning would see them in himself.

"Second place... Jin Guangyao."

The quiet boy stood up with a winning smile, collected his badge, bowed, and sat down all with a calm and pleasant demeanour; it was almost as if he had practiced this moment, confident it would happen. As his name was called out, Wei Ying realised a painful fact and refused to look at Jiang Cheng who glanced at him several times. There was two of them and only one space left. One of them wouldn't make it.

"And first... With the highest scores we have recorded in years... Wei Wuxian."

When he imagined his name being called, he imagined walking up to the stage with a confident smile, and taking the badge with pride, before walking back down and celebrating with his best friend. But now, he couldn't focus on his success but only how Jiang Cheng didn't make the cut. He collected his badge with a false smile and bowed to the brothers. Sitting back down, he could feel how tense Jiang Cheng was. He was certain he would pass with Wei Ying and they would be partners. Now, he would be going home whilst Wei Ying lived their dream.