18

Lan Zhan ended putting one of Wei Ying's arms over his shoulder and directed him into another door, further away but in the same building. Wei Ying wanted to ask where they were going but trusted Lan Zhan, and he was too tired to ask. This part of the building was more spacious and had an elevator which they took to the top floor. They entered a small corridor with only two doors in it. The walls were a calm cream colour and there was a soft carpet floor.

Lan Zhan walked over to the door on the right and inserted a key card, then pushed it open to reveal a large apartment that was minimal and clean: exactly like Lan Zhan.

"This is your place?" Wei Ying asked as the pair made their way inside.

"Hm."

"What's the other door?"

"Brother's."

Wei Ying nodded as he slumped onto the couch and looked out of the large windows. He looked at the city view and the sunlight splayed less harshly onto his face; he closed his eyes and let the warm beams relax him. He noticed Lan Zhan wasn't near him, so he turned away from the windows with a frown, scanning the living room for the male.

"Lan Zhan?" he asked with slight fear in his voice.

"Hm."

He heard Lan Zhan's voice from the kitchen and he let out a sigh of relief. Lan Zhan emerged a moment later with two mugs of tea. He handed one over to the boy then sat down on the couch next to him, taking a sip of his own tea. Wei Ying took the mug with a thankyou then sighed with relief when the drink warmed him up and calmed him down. He sank back into the couch and let his eyes slip shut, basking in this moment. He noticed Lan Zhan wasn't pressuring him to talk or asking him if he was okay, and he appreciated that from him.

"Do you wan't me to talk about it?" he asked as he opened his eyes and turned to face the older.

"Do you?"

"I... I think so. You can help me get to grips with it. You're a good listener."

"Hm."

"Okay," Wei Ying began and took another sip- the mug gripped tightly by his hands- before speaking, "it started right away, right? With the interrogation."

"Hm."

"What was that for? And the gun, right at the start."

"How you act when taken by surprise and under pressure."

"And the stranger asked me who I was. Who was it? I couldn't see them in the dark."

"An agent of ours."

"Okay. Then they took me to a box, saying I caused them trouble. I know that was just the backstory. Then they left and I was trapped. What was that testing?"

"How you react to unusual circumstances. And the fear of small spaces, it's common."

"How did I do? I know you're not supposed to or can't tell me how well but I'd like an idea, please."

"You did well, you found the weak spots and overcame the situation."

"Did the others?"

"I can't say."

"I understand. So then I was running in the dark and then the box appeared, the one with the pill."

"Hm."

"It said to take it. What was that testing?"

"Your decision making."

"Right. So I didn't take it and took down the people in the dark. Were they other agents?"