4

As everyone had left the room, Wei Ying sat down onto one of the mats for hand to hand combat training and then lay down completely.

"You good?" Lan Zhan asked, as he walked around sorting out the equipment.

"I could be better." Wei Ying replied with a small sigh. "Lan Zhan, what do I do with the examinations tomorrow?"

"You don't have to do them."

"But I have to!" Wei Ying exclaimed then winced at the loud noise.

"If you do then there is a chance you will be demoted to beta in your current state."

"What did you say? Sorry it just sounded fuzzy." Wei Ying asked as he tried to force away the dim buzzing.

"I said if you do the exam tomorrow you could be demoted."

"I know, but at least I get to stay."

"Shall we go upstairs? You could do with the fresh air." Lan Zhan spoke and held out a hand to pull the younger up.

Wei Ying smiled and took the hand. But when he stood up his leg gave way and he fell forwards. Lan Zhan caught him and let the younger lean on him. Wei Ying sighed and leaned his head on Lan Zhan's shoulder, letting the pain settle.

"Carry me?" he asked, his voice muffled by the older's shirt.

Lan Zhan looked down at Wei Ying and knew he must either be in a lot of pain or really tired for him to ask for help. He scooped his hands under Wei Ying's legs and back and lifted him up bridal style.

"You don't-"

"I know."

Wei Ying smiled and allowed himself to lean his head against the man's chest as he let Lan Zhan carry him through the door and up the stairs. He reached into Lan Zhan's pocket and took out the keys before inserting them into the lock. It clicked and the door slid open. The pair reached the open space and Lan Zhan lowered Wei Ying down.

"Thanks."

"Hm."

"You were right. I needed the fresh air." he sighed and closed his eyes, letting the city noise and cool breeze wash over him. "It's so peaceful up here. You almost can't believe there is a room full of deadly weapons below us."

"Hm."

The pair stood in silence, looking out onto the skyline as the evening grew darker. Wei Ying leaned on Lan Zhan slightly as his calf began to hurt and the older pulled him upright with one arm around his waist.

"What do we do about tomorrow? Getting demoted wouldn't be the end of the world but it would give Zixuan's morons satisfaction."

"We'll figure something out."

"I hope so. If I don't do good your Uncle will want me gone and he'll do so with a smile on his face. He hates me."

"Hm."

It was silent as the two looked at each other before laughing softly at Wei Ying's words. The smiles stayed on their faces as they held each other close on the rooftop, looking out upon the city with the warm sun splaying down on them.

No matter what, they would get through tomorrow. Together...

Wei Ying woke up the next morning on his bed... wait, what?! He pushed himself up, holding his head in his hand as the headache returned. His other hand moved along the sheets to make sure he was in his bed then opened his eyes and looked around. The curtains were open letting sun peak into the room, and he saw Jiang Cheng's bed was empty.