19

"Quiet!" Commander Qiren's voice called; the boys all fell silent and sat down in their seats.

"I understand today's assessments were difficult, but it is a taste of what you may experience if you join us. Your results will be out next week, the rest of the week is yours to relax. Now, as a well done, dinner is a treat. Enjoy!"

He shouted the last word so loud that some of the recruits jumped; it sounded more like an order than a congrats, so much so that it seemed obligatory to have fun. His face was so serious he seemed to be daring anyone to not enjoy. Either that or he didn't know the definition of the word.

"Enjoy!" Wei Ying shouted back just as loud. "Yes sir! You heard him lads! Enjoy! Now!"

He then pulled an over-dramatic happy face and laughed loudly, the other boys joining in. Soon the room was filled with stupid looking grins and sarcastic, over-the-top laughter. He took a glance at Qiren over his drink and saw he was frowning right at him with an annoyed expression.

"Commander Qiren!" he shouted over the now natural and hysteric laughter. "You do not seem to be enjoying yourself! Sir, we all insist you must enjoy! Enjoy!" his voice grew louder until he was screaming the last part, causing all of the boys to grip their stomachs and hold onto the table to not fall over.

Wei Ying looked at the other recruits with a smile, glad they were now more happy and less tense than earlier. Lan Xichen looked on in understanding of the boy's actions and bowed his head to hide his smile. Lan Zhan's face remained blank, but he caught Wei Ying grinning at him with mischief.

"Wei Wuxian!"

"Sir?"

"How dare you!"

"How dare I what? You said to enjoy, quite loudly might I add."

"Wei Wuxian!" Qiren shouted and lobbed his cup at the younger who dodged it easily.

Wei Ying's face looked in complete shock for a moment, as did everyone else in the room. Even Qiren went the slightest red at his actions, understanding his manners went out of the window. But a second later, Wei Ying's shock turned into a smirk, and he picked up a handful of roast potatoes- as the food had now been placed on the tables- and chucked it right at Qiren. It landed right on his chest and when the Commander looked up he was furious.

"Food fight!" Wei Ying shouted.

He picked up a piece of cake and shoved it right in Jiang Cheng's face then ran to the other side of the table. Jiang Cheng wiped the cream out of his eyes before picking up his drink and throwing it right at his friend. Luckily, Wei Ying ducked and it hit Nie Huaisang's shoulder who looked up with surprise on his face. It was still for a moment, as everyone looked at him, and he looked between the recruits and the Lans, but then he picked up some food and chucked it right back with a smile on his face.

"Food fight!" Wei Ying shouted again and total chaos erupted. All of the recruits were forming alliances- that lasted a few seconds at most- and began to splatter each other with food. Everyone's hair was a mess and their uniforms no longer black but all the colours available. Their smiles and grins flashed all around the room as they hid and shot up from behind chairs. The air was full of flying food and drink and Qiren sat still in his seat in shock. His body was frozen and his face stuck with wide eyes as he processed the scene in front of him.

"Chuck it!" Wei Ying shouted as he crouched next to Wen Ning, with food smeared all over him; the boy looked down at the pie he was being offered and looked nervously around the room for a target.

"We'll do it together!" he shouted and placed his hand over Wen Ning's, both peeping over the table at their target; on three they chucked the pie and watched as it hit Jin Guangyao right on the chest, making him stumble back.