6

Wei Ying faded in and out of consciousness for the next few days. His vision was always blurry or black and his body felt achy and cold. He tried and tried to stay awake for more than a few seconds but the blissful silence drew him in every time. A week passed before he woke up.

As his eyes slowly opened, they squinted at the bright lights from above. He could see the white walls and bedding and knew he was not in his dorm. The heaviness in his head went away as his consciousness returned and tingling grew in his fingertips as he regained control of his body. With a groan, he pulled his arms up and pushed himself up onto his forearms. He looked around and noticed it was a minimal but pleasant room with a huge window opposite him- with a view of the city- and small desks and a few plants. He turned to his right and found a small drawer covered in notes and chocolate. They were from the other recruits, hoping that he got well soon.

He smiled at the kind actions and the good feelings gave him more energy. He sat up completely and leaned against his pillows whilst he waited for someone to appear. As he waited, he scanned over his injuries. His ribs were still bandaged but they didn't feel bruised and nothing pierced his chest when he moved. His calf no longer had a bandage and there were faded bruises of pale green and yellow on his skin. He reached up to his temples, and when he pressed down, he felt little pain. The disappearance of the constant pounding was elating and he felt he could breathe naturally again.

By the clock on the wall, an hour passed until the door opened.

"Hey." Wei Ying called to the person who walked in.

She must have been the Doctor as she held a clipboard, had a stethoscope around her neck, and was wearing a white coat. She gave a small shout of surprise at his consciousness before striding over and beginning to examine him.

"You're awake." she announced as she took his temperature.

"I hope so." he replied with a laugh; she gave one in return.

"Your friends have been so worried about you. They come to see you everyday. They also said you were quite the joker." she continued as she checked over his injuries and checked for any head trauma.

"Everyday?" he asked in disbelief.

"Yeah, they care a lot about you. You also get lots of get well soon cards from your classmates. There are more in the drawer since they all wouldn't fit on the top."

"Thankyou for taking care of me."

"No problem." she gave him a warm smile before heading to the door.

"How long was I out?" he asked quickly.

"A week. Any longer and we would have had to put a feeding tube down you."

Wei Ying shuddered at the idea and thanked his body silently for putting up with so much.

"I'll go and tell your friends you're awake. They will want to see you straight away."

She was halfway out of the door when Wei Ying called her again.

"Sorry, but, where am I?"

"The company's hospital. My name is Doctor Wen."

"Thankyou Doctor Wen."

She smiled and waved before shutting the door and heading off to make the exciting phone call. Wei Ying decided to look through the drawer at what people brought him. His eyes widened at all of the chocolates and sweets he received alongside the warming and funny letters. He dug into the treats, and spent the time eating and watching the sun move across the sky from his window. It was a beautiful view.