Chapter Twelve

Laney sat in her room, staring out the window with a quill in hand, a partially written letter in front of her on the desk. She looked down at the paper and sighed. "I don't know why I want to try and send another letter after almost eight years," she spoke aloud to no one. She hovered the quill over the paper when a knock sounded at her door. "It's unlocked!"

Magnus took a deep breath, glanced at the young woman at his side, then walked into his daughters room, knowing that the news he would give her would not go over well. "Afternoon Laney."

"Afternoon daddy," she greeted with a smile as she turned and stood from her seat. "What are you doing here?"

"Dear... I have some news for you," he replied simply, making Laney furrow her brow in confusion.

"What... what's going on?" she asked, turning to face him in her seat.

Magnus squared his shoulders, going into military mode. "I received a letter from Asgard today," he stated.

Laney's eyes brightened, hoping that it could be good news. "What would that be?"

"Loki," he began, "Loki has fallen into the void, having fallen off The Bifrost bridge. He's gone."

"Wh-what?" She stammered. "What do you mean he fell?"

"I'm sorry my dear. Loki has perished."

Laney's vision clouded with blackness as she cried out in anguish, falling from her seat, to her knees. She barely noticed that her father called her best friend into the room to comfort her so he could leave. All she felt was numbness and despair.

~~~~~~

Loki was startled awake and was confused for a brief moment before he realized Laney was having a nightmare. He pulled her close and gently stroked her hair, hoping to calm her. "Shhh, it's alright darling, you're safe." He repeated softly to her..

Laney opened her eyes, feeling them burn with tears as they ran down her face. Her body shook and trembled as she gasped for air until she realized the tightness she felt was Loki holding her. It was then that his scent reached her, the familiar smell of bergamot reaching her nose. "Lo-Loki?"

"I have you darling, you are safe, it was just a nightmare." He reassured her, then kissed her forehead again. "Take a deep breath and remember where you are." He said softly, helping her calm down like Frigga had helped him many times before.

Tears continued to stream down her face as she buried her head into his neck, wrapping him in a death grip. "You were gone," she whimpered, "You were gone..."

"Look at me darling... I am right here. I will always be right here with you." He promised her, still just holding her close. Raising one hand, he gently dried her tears.

She tilted her head back and met his eyes, her own puffy and red. Seeing emerald green staring back at her helped her slowly calm down. You're really here... it was a dream... a reality that's gone.

He gave her a loving smile then shifted slightly so he could press a soft kiss to her lips. "See, all is well darling. I am right here, but I know how real nightmares can seem, so I am here to listen if you want to talk about it." He offered, ready to do anything to help her feel better.

Laney sniffled and wiped her eyes. "It... It was when I lived in Yamir. My father walked into my home and gave me the news. The news of your death."

Loki gave a soft sigh, understanding better now. "I am so sorry darling. Mother never would have put you through that, I know she wouldn't have." He said, trying to assure himself as well as Laney.