Chapter Fifteen

(smut later in chapter)

Laney and Desi stood in the middle of Loki's large sitting room. "Okay... now, the basic dance is simple to learn, all you do is follow the beat of the music that's playing. I assume Thor will not engage in the more elaborate dances."

Desi nodded, but was clearly distracted. "I'm ready. Simple moves should be easy enough."

She walked up to her and put one hand on her shoulder, the other on her waist. "This would be easier if I had music to play for you, but use a three beat in your mind. If you need to, count aloud."

Desi placed her hands on Laney in the same positions, then nodded. "You could just sing for us." She giggled, trying her best to focus.

Laney laughed. "I haven't sang in years, so good luck with getting me to," she replied as she slowly began leading Desi throughout the room.

"It's just the two of us here!" Desi giggled, dancing around the room with Laney. After a few rounds, she caught on and could keep up with the simple moves easily. She pulled away and sighed softly before the dance was done. "I shouldn't be doing this..."

"Desi, what's wrong?" She asked. "We were having fun."

"He's going to be the king soon... I guess I knew that, but it didn't hit me until we were talking in the pond. King, Laney, he's the next king." she sighed, feeling even more foolish now.

Laney sighed and grasped Desi's hand before she walked her over to the sofa and sat down with her. "He's still just a man, Desi. Take away the status, the bloodlines, the reputation, and he's just another man that you would pass on the street."

"That may be true, but it's not that easy. He can't just set aside the title of king, and I... well, I'm not queen material." She shook her head, trying to clear her thoughts. "He's likely forgotten all about the dancing already, so you and I should dance again!" She said, trying to cheer herself up.

"I doubt that. I know it's hard, but just try to relax and be yourself this evening," she said with a smile. "Did you want to dress casual? Or dress up?"

"I don't know how to be anyone else." Desi said with a grin. "How will everyone else be dressed?"

"It's a relaxed dinner, there's no event or anything tonight." Laney sat back on the sofa. "There's always music because Frigga enjoys it so much. I'll probably wear a dress out of courtesy though, you know I'm not fond of them."

"I know you aren't, but you always look amazing in a dress!" Desi said truthfully. "I have a nice casual dress I can wear. It's not palace nice, but it's one of my favorite dresses." She said, very happy she packed it. "Can I ask something that might be personal?"

"You wear anything that you want," she replied, "what's up? I'm all ears."

"In the pond, Loki's attitude kind of changed when I mentioned you two someday getting married and all..." She started, not entirely sure how to phrase her question.

Laney nodded as she looked at the floor. "He is in no way against getting married when the time is right," she assured. "But children... he doesn't want anyone to have a part Jotun child."

"Why? I've treated several half Jotun children. I can't even begin to tell you how adorable they are! And they are so sweet. I could go on forever!"

"He's very uncomfortable with his true heritage. I hate that he calls himself a monster, and it's because of how he was raised. Frigga has apologized to him, but I do not know if Loki and Odin will ever have a relationship."