Chapter 9 ~ Discoveries and Secrets

Hello everybody!

If you have read the other chapters I've posted today from my different books, you know what I'm about to say.

Happy 4th of July!

 "-and he said, 'Oh God Liz, I thought this was the kitchen!'"

Laughter burst out around the table at the end of Liz's story, and even a few jokingly clapped. After Ashley finally got a hold of herself, she asked in disbelief, "How do you mistake a sauna for a kitchen?"

"Well," Liz chuckled, "he's my dad after all. Between it being our first night at the hotel and how bad his memory is, I wouldn't be so surprised."

Ashley took another bite of her sandwich before adding any more to the conversation. Lunch was nearly over, and if she didn't shush her vocal cords soon, she would be going to class on an empty stomach. Some other girls kept up the dialogue from there, but Ashley was plenty content just listening. To be completely honest, the teenager had expected herself to find a lot much harder of a time trying to fit into the school. However, since it was a school for smart students, and Ashley was about as smart as they came, everything seemed to fall into place quite quickly.

Except...

She sighed at the thought of what Flash had said. She had tried to distance herself from Peter today, but it was really difficult. He just seemed so kind and innocent...

No, Ashley reminded herself, like Flash said, that's what he wants you to believe.

But then she was faced with the other side of the problem. What if Flash was lying? What if he just didn't want her to be friends with Peter because of his dislike towards the boy? Or what if...?

No Ashley, don't flatter yourself. He wouldn't say that just because he was jealous.

Would he though? She didn't think that there was a reason for him to, given that she and Peter were purely just friends, but boys' minds could be hard to figure out sometimes.

"You good Ash? You've been staring into space for like the last ten minutes," Betty (the blonde from the morning school news) asked, prodding her shoulder with the handle of a plastic fork.

"Yeah I'm alright," Ashley replied with a smile. "Just thinking."

"Oh dear, scientists beware," the blonde joked. "Ms. A+ over here is putting her big brain to use."

Ashley playfully pushed her shoulder while laughing. "Where did that nickname come from?"

"Oh, I don't know," Liz sarcastically replied, "maybe because I literally haven't seen you get any other grade than a 100."

"Bethany's tough," Ashley lied. "She wouldn't expect anything but the best."

"Do you like her? Living with an adoptive mom like that sounds kinda rough," Liz sympathized.