Chapter 17 ~ Uh... I Finished My Math Homework Early?

Pfft, the title is a phrase I wish I could say.

Anyways, I just wanted to say before we start the chapter that I don't own some of the dialogue below. Credits to the MCU movie that it's from. All I did was edit it a little bit to fit my storyline.

Also, it's probably best if you ignore that dang-awful aesthetic I made for Ashley and just keep on scrollin

"Oh sh-"

    Ashley couldn't even finish her sentence. Her mouth just didn't work properly at this point.

    "Ashley?! What the he** are you doing here?"

    "Watch your language around minors," A man dressed in a dark blue suit with a silver star across the chest snapped, giving Natasha a stern look.

    Oh crap oh crap oh crap, Ashley thought to herself. This was not good. This was very not good. Of all agents to be assisting her on this mission, it had to be the very one that thought that she was safe at home, working on exhausting math homework. Her fright made her not even register who the man standing next to Natasha was.

    "You shouldn't be here," Natasha began, causing Ashley to wince at the oncoming speech. "You should be at home, like you said you were. Is lying to me okay all of the sudden?"

    "Uh... I finished my math homework early?" Ashley scrambled for an excuse, looking down at her feet.

    "I'm just about ready pull you out of S.H.I.E.L.D. in general! There's no way your first mission as a 14-year-old is going to be a dangerous op like this. I mean, what does Fury even have you doing?!"

    "She's our squadron's leader," a voice from behind Natasha interjected, walking out of the shadows. Ashley sighed in relief, knowing that she didn't have to lie to Natasha about her other agenda. He strode past Natasha and went straight up to Ashley, extending a hand. "Agent Brock Rumlow, at your service."

    "Nice to meet you sir," Ashley nodded, taking his hand and shaking it. It wasn't until then, when she looked past Rumlow to find any other of her team's members, did it finally sink in who the man in the dark blue suit was.

    "Whoa whoa whoa," she stuttered, staring at an equally confused-looking man. "You're- he's- WHAT... what's Captain America doing here?!"

    "Do you know her?" Steve asked Natasha, dodging Ashley's question.

    "Unfortunately, I do," Natasha sarcastically sighed, earning a stuck-out tongue from Ashley. "I'm her... legal guardian," Natasha added with playful distaste.

    "Wait a hot second," Steve blinked, his mouth fully agape. He still hadn't answered Ashley's question yet, but she shrugged it off. There was no denying that the one and only Captain America was standing before her.  "You adopted a daughter?! Where in the world did you find the time to do this?"

    "It's a bit more complicated than that," Ashley chuckled, thinking about her entire backstory with Natasha. "But yeah, I guess you could say she's my adoptive mother. I'm also the new leader of the S.T.R.I.K.E. team."

    "You are?" He questioned, gesturing for her to step out of the way so they could close the Quinjet's hatch and start their flight. "But you're so..."

    "Young? Yeah, I get that a lot." Ashley rolled her eyes.

    The captain turned back to Natasha, confusion still written all over his face. "And you just failed to mention this to me?"

    "Eh, you never asked," she shrugged, moving over to the other side of the room to grab a couple of pistols and load them.

    "What else do I need to ask about, then?" He muttered incredulously, loud enough for the two of them to hear. It took some effort for Ashley to be able to stifle her chuckle. "Let me guess, you also have a secret Hungarian boyfriend."