|<Chapter Twenty-Two>|

Oi, writing this right now is a pain. I'm so excited to write new chapters on this book, but there's too much that I need to go back and include in my previous chapters. Let's just say that I actually came up with a decent plot for this book a bit ago, but I had way too many plot holes after I came up with it so I have to rewrite several chapters.

So, basically to sum it up, I can't move much farther on this book until I finish revising the earlier chapters :/

Therefore, this chapter is gonna be forced to be short for today

Everyone's got their bad days in the city. Lillian just got dumped by Jacob, so she's lying on the couch crying her eyes out. Mr. Kempt's dog just passed away, so he's sitting on the park bench and staring wordlessly into the horizon. Conner's best friend since childhood is having to relocate after her parents got divorced, and even Shane is having his fair share of tears after finding out that his girlfriend of three years has been cheating on him with his rival.

Though, it was pretty safe to say, there was only one person who was having to cope with the fact that his best friend slash huge crush was just abducted by Hydra agents who are way too good at their job, and that oh-so-fortunate person just happened to go by the name Peter Parker.

    Yeah, apparently Mr. Stark vaguely knew someone who were a potential ally in tracking down Ashley. However, it had been a painstaking six minutes since Mr. Stark had removed himself from the room to go make a call, and Peter's side was still lacking of his other half. Yeah, okay, maybe he was a little bit impatient, but could you blame him?

    "Kid," Mr. Stark's voice shattered the silence of the room. The billionaire was no longer on the phone with Mister-Top-Secret-Helpful-Man and had reentered the area he had abandoned Peter in. Mr. Stark jerked his thumb in the direction of the door, but Peter awkwardly remained rigid in his stance. "Let's go," the man added in exasperation.

    "Oh, right! Sure thing Mr. Stark," Peter yelped and threw himself into a jaunty walk. "Where are we going, again?"

    "Meeting up with an old 'friend' of mine. A cranky, bossy old pirate."

    "Pirate? As in like swashbuckling pirate? Mr. Stark, is he like that guy from those movies called the Pirates of the..." Peter excitedly rambled, which was abruptly cut off when Mr. Stark groaned and held up his hand to stop Peter.

    "For the love of God Parker, Jack Sparrow is not saving your girlfriend from Hydra."

    "I never said she was my girlfriend-"

    "Irrelevant," Mr. Stark interrupted. "Now be quiet or I'll gladly ditch you on the side of the road."

    Peter huffed but ultimately obeyed Mr. Stark's command. The pair had hastily made their way to the Avengers Tower landing pad, which was currently occupied by a Quinjet. It was only a matter of seconds before the jet was abandoning the ground and cutting through the crisp afternoon air. Where they were going was far beyond Peter, but he couldn't care less. As long as it meant that Ashley would be saved soon, he was content.

"So, kid, have ya ever been to D.C.?"

~

Ashley couldn't ignore the pulsating caution that laced her thoughts. Her stomach was twisted and churning as she sat at the desk in uncomfortable solitude. Jasper and Fitzsimmons had long since abandoned her quarters so she could contemplate their offer. Her immediate instinct was to jump at the beautiful opportunity that had been so graciously presented to her, but as time wore on, there was something she couldn't explain that was gnawing away at her confidence.