Chapter 5

Osman Bey and his men had ridden away as fast and far as they could, till they could no longer do so for Samsa's wound needed to be treated. They had him lie at the trunk of a large tree, and Osman himself had started a fire with the help of Bala and Gonca to heat the cauterizing knife. "I am the wolf of these bold mountains, Osman Bey," said Samsa, grinning despite the searing pain from his wound. "I am built for this. I will be fine. Don't worry." "Samsa Cavus," Osman smiled at his friend, despite feeling sorrow that he was in pain. He whispered Allah's name under his breath after placing a wooden stick in between Samsa's teeth for him to bite on, before taking the arrow stub out of his chest. Samsa groaned but did not make a large fuss, and his shoulders slumped back in relief when the arrow was removed.

Bala walked over with the heated knife, and passed it to Osman. "It's ready, Osman Bey," she said, and Osman took it gratefully before he pressed it against his friend's wound. Samsa cried out in pain, but turned it into laughter to make it easier to bear, making all of them smile along with him. "MashaAllah, my valiant," said Bamsi Bey proudly, patting Samsa's cheek once the knife was put away. "MashaAllah." Samsa Bey's panting turned into relaxed breaths, happy to have been relieved of the pain.

"You have come as a godsend to our aid, Osman," said Sheikh Edebali. "Thanks be to Allah, we were blessed with you," said Osman. "He granted you to us. We will not let you go that easy." The Sheikh and Bala smiled at him, before Boran spoke up, his words bringing them all back to reality and dampening the mood.

"Do you think they will let Konur and Melike live?" he asked worriedly. Osman's heart clenched as he thought of his two warriors who had stayed behind, so they could run. It was clear that everyone felt guilty for leaving Konur and Melike behind, Boran especially. "I promised I would not let anything happen to her," he whispered, looking tearful. "I failed." "They ignite the flame of fear in everyone's hearts," said Bamsi. "They have discouraged them." "They attacked our tribe," growled Osman. "They raided our camp, slaughtered our people..." He thrust a dagger into the ground in anger, as his friends and fellow warriors watched him.

"Is that not the same with the valiant ones, Bamsi Bey?" said the Sheikh. "They say a valiant is one who kills and defeats death itself, brings fear to its knees...someone who will bring hope for his people." Osman looked up at him, and saw that there was a hint of a proud smile in the Sheikh's face. "Let us see which valiant shall shine thanks to this tribulation," he said. Bamsi, playing along, smiled in turn. "So tell me, what will this valiant have to do in order to pass this test?" he asked. "A Bey needs to be a farmer first," said Sheikh Edebali wisely. "He needs to know the soil in order to know which plant can survive..and thrive." He put a hand on Osman's shoulder. "Then he needs to know when to irrigate the soil, and when to tame it," he continued. "He will not let weeds prevent the seeds from growing. He will need to work and put in effort, so one day that seed can turn green and be harvested. And on that day, he shall not put his own claim on the garden and its goods."

He looked around at all who were listening and smiled before he finished off with, "Whoever shall have these qualities, Allah shall be a companion to him." Everyone nodded in agreement, before Osman himself finally stood up and spoke up.

"We will throttle them tonight," he announced. "Sogut shall be their graves. We will take the revenge of our brothers and sisters." He smiled with confidence, before he said, "Konur is a tough man. He will stand firm. He will resist." He then turned to look directly at Boran, and said, "Melike is a formidable young woman. She is stronger than she and any of us know. She will be braver than any man, and stand up to them along with Konur." Boran smiled back, his heart relieved. Osman walked up to his friend, and placed a hand on his shoulder. "Don't you worry, Boran'im," he said. "We will save Konur and your sister, I promise. She is just a sister to us all as she is to you, she is our responsibility too."