Chapter 33

*surprise another early update cuz I decided to treat y'all lol- tho ngl I find this chapter somewhat dry sskska*

"It's beautiful, Melike."

Melike had gifted Bala with a beautiful dagger which she had pound and designed herself, and Bala was admiring it. The handle was black and silver, speckled with a bit of gold. Eye-catching flowery patterns were carved into its sheath and hilt, and Melike had curved and sharpened it nicely. "You must have put in a lot of effort, bacim. Thank you dearly." "It's no problem, Bala," said Melike with a smile. "Your friendship alone is worth more to me than any precious dagger or treasure." The two hugged sweetly, and Bala placed the dagger in her belt. "It won't be long now," she sighed as she looked up into the reddening sky, the sun already beginning to set. "You will be an amazing and deserving wife to Osman Bey, don't worry," said Melike with a smile. "You both deserve this union." Bala smiled back, though rather wearily. "It isn't just that, Melike," she said. "It's Hazal Hatun too."

Hazal Hatun was Dundar's other wife, the mother of Bahadir Bey and Yavlak Arslan's sister- making her Sumeyye's aunt. She had arrived in the tribe that afternoon, her head high and her nose stuck in the air proudly. Melike hadn't remembered the last time she'd seen Hazal Hatun, but she felt uncomfortable the moment she came to the tribe. Hazal was from the Cobanogullari Tribe, a haughty tribe which saw themselves in a high status, one that Ertugrul Bey himself was wary of though they and the Kayis were close. And when Hazal walked in with her servants with her as if she were a queen, Melike knew immediately that there was something fishy. "I know," said Melike grimly. "She is bad news itself. I hope she won't bring us any problems." Melike remembered how Sumeyye detested her growing up and especially when she moved to the Kayi Tribe, and Melike couldn't blame her- Hazal had put her through quite a bit. "Zohre looked extremely concerned when she arrived, especially with Aygul being in the state she is in," said Bala. "I don't know if they will hold the peace." "Well they better for tonight, at least," said Melike in a fierce voice. "Or I will have something to say. You and Osman deserve to have one peaceful and happy night." Bala chuckled and squeezed Melike's arm. "I don't mind the unrest as long as I am with him, and with my beloved friends," she said and Melike smiled back. "No more worrying, Bala," said Melike. "You need to think of tonight, and prepare!" "You're right," said Bala. She gave Melike one last hug before she left for her tent, and Melike basked in the quiet moment she got all to herself.

A small goat came along and rubbed itself against her shins, and she smiled as she rolled up her sleeves, placed her sword and dagger on a crate nearby and sat down on a hay bale to play with it awhile. "You're so cute, aren't you, dear?" she whispered as she played with its furry ears. She remembered the times when she was little, and would spend most of her time with Sumeyye playing around with the goats, and she laughed as she remembered a time where they pushed Konur into their watering trough. As she played with the small white goat, she heard raised voices that were hurriedly hushed and she looked up. Zohre Hatun was talking to another man, one she had never seen before. She frowned at them, feeling suspicious; Zohre was in deep conversation with the man, who was dressed like a doctor. "Perhaps he's going to help with Aygul," murmured Melike to herself, when another voice jolted her out of her thoughts.

"Melike Hatun?"

Melike looked around for the voice and saw Cetin Alp standing a little far off, behind one of the tents. He was looking worried as he indicated for her to go over. She left the goat and walked over to him, wondering what he wanted.

"Cetin Alp?"

"Selam Aleykum, Melike Baci," said Cetin, pressing his palm to his chest. "Ve Aleykum Selam, what's going on?" Melike asked, concerned at the worried look on Cetin's face. "I'm looking for Osman Bey, to send a message, but I believe he is busy, and I think only you are fit to hear this message first if he isn't around," said Cetin with a grim look on his face. "What's wrong, Cetin?" asked Melike, becoming worried. "It's Goktug Alp," said Cetin. "He didn't meet me when he was supposed to today." Melike's eyebrows raised; "What do you mean?" she demanded. "I was supposed to meet him today," explained Cetin. "After the morning preparations, I left the tribe on Osman Bey's order to meet him in the woods for an update on what is going on in the Mongols' camp. I waited for hours, but he never came." Melike's heart clenched as worry shot through her veins, making her body feel numb. "N-no sign of him?" she asked in almost a whisper. Cetin shook his head.