Chapter 40

A/N: Get comfy for an extra-long chapter :")

"Goktug!"

Melike woke up with a jump, cold sweat gathering on her forehead. She looked around frantically, shivering and shaking. "Melike? Are you alright?" asked Sumeyye worriedly as she rushed over to her friend, who looked absolutely terrified. "Where's Goktug?" demanded Melike and attempted to get up, not caring that she was still in bed with a still-healing wound. Sumeyye held her down to her bed firmly, not allowing her to stand. "He hasn't returned yet, Melike," said Bala forlornly. "I'm sorry." Melike exhaled heavily and wiped her forehead with her sleeve, leaning back into her pillows. Bala hurriedly prepared a bowl of water for her, which she downed in an instant, nearly choking herself. "Thank you," she gasped out, clutching her chest slightly as her friend put the bowl aside, Sumeyye gently rubbing her back. "What woke you up, Melike?" asked Gonca. "A nightmare?" "I felt that Goktug was in danger," said Melike. "It struck me like lightning, and I believe that woke me up."

Bala, Gonca and Sumeyye looked at each other, worried. "Oh Allah, I hope they're alright," whispered Bala. "You don't think they got into some sort of trouble along the way, do you?" wondered Sumeyye aloud. "I hope not, bacim," said Gonca, when all of a sudden, someone came into the tent. It was one of the healers, one that Melike knew by sight to work with Selcan Hatun quite often. "What's going on?" asked Bala, standing up from Melike's bedside. "It's Konur Alp, Bala Hatun," said the healer, her eyes sad. "We've done all we can, but...he won't make it." Melike felt as if her whole world had collapsed around her, and her eyes froze. "K-konur?" she asked shakily, sitting up slowly. "I'm sorry, Melike Hatun," the healer said. "His wound is infected. He's still alive, but barely." Melike didn't waste a second in jumping out of bed and running out of the tent, despite the pain of her wound and the protests of her friends- she was too quick for them to try and restrain her. All she cared about was to see Konur, before it was too late. She hurried over, limping, to the healing tent, holding her stomach and burst in, startling Dundar and Gunduz. "Melike Baci? You should be resting," said Gunduz. Melike took no notice of him and rushed over to Konur's side, tightening her loose scarf around her head.

"Konur," she whispered hoarsely as she sat down next to where he lay, and brushed his messy curls of auburn-blonde hair out of his eyes. Konur smiled, though weakly. "You...you should be resting, Melike," murmured Konur with a chuckle, as he opened his eyes at Melike's touch and recognized her. "Not if you are like this," said Melike. "Konur, fight this, please. I need you, Boran needs you, most of all Goktug needs you...we all need you, please!" "Melike, I can't stay anymore," whispered Konur. "I...it's time." "No, please!" begged Melike, squeezing his hand tight, tears forming in her eyes. "No, Konur, you can't go! Not like this!" "Melike, shh....please don't mourn me, Little Sister," Konur said softly. "Rejoice that I have lived, and that I was martyred." "You can't go, Konur! Goktug won't forgive himself- he'll be devastated," choked out Melike. "That is why I entrust him to you," said Konur. "You must take care of him, Melike. You must love him, you must look after him, help him to settle into the tribe. Teach him how to be a muslim...to pray, to read the Quran, our religious laws. You must help him not feel judged, or ostracized for his past and mistakes. You need to help him accept, and overcome his pain. You are...the only one who can." Konur's inhales and exhales were hitched and uneven, showing that he was having trouble breathing. He really was dying- and the realization was shattering Melike's heart into pieces.

"Konur, please," cried Melike, her sobs wracking her body and bringing more pain to her wound, though she took no notice of it. "Don't leave me..." "I'll always be with you," said Konur with a smile, using the last of his strength to place his hand on her cheek. "I entrust Goktug first to Allah, then to you. He is your responsibility." He looked to Gunduz Bey and Dundar Bey, who were both crying. "Please accept my Goktug warmly into the tribe, Gunduz Bey," he begged. "Don't remind him of this, and make him feel pain." "B-but you can't go like this, Konur," choked out Gunduz, not even attempting to hold back his tears or control his emotions. "Please Konur, we must fight for Islam many more times," whispered Dundar, the sincerity evident in his voice despite everything that had happened. Konur smiled at them, and turned to Melike. "Tell Goktug that I love him, like I love you, Melike," whispered Konur. "I l-love you too, Konur Abi," sobbed Melike, pressing Konur's hand against her cheek. "I will tell him." Konur smiled his shining, dimpled smile for the last time, before suddenly inhaling sharply.