Chapter 41

A/N: (ignore the girl's hair lol y'all know Melike wears a scarf/hijab and the headdress)

Goktug stood over Konur's grave, carefully pouring water over it from a half-full vase that had been left beside it. He sighed as he placed the vase down upon the grass, and picked up Konur's burq. He stroked its furry hem, and nostalgic memories began to flow in his brain- memories of them as children, playing together on a swing, their nearly identical blue eyes shining happily in the sunlight...them listening to their mother's lullaby before tucking into their bed and falling asleep, warm and safe beneath the covers...them playing with their wooden swords, training together as they dreamt of becoming heroes for Allah's cause- Goktug's heart clenched, as those memories flickered between their fun and innocent times as children and the moment he had thrust his own sword through his brother's body- creating the wound that snuffed out his life less than 48 hours later.

Goktug fell to the ground beside the grave, holding Konur's burq as the fingers of his free hand sunk into the damp, cold, fresh-smelling earth. He didn't attempt to stop his tears as they fell into the ground, over where his brother was laid to rest. He placed a kiss onto the hem of Konur's burq before placing it back onto the tombstone where it had previously rested. "Your will to me was to be loyal to Osman Bey, and to fight for our Cause," he whispered to his dead brother as he gripped the ground, fisting the earth in his hands. "I have come here in the loyal servitude of Osman Bey, Abi. I promise you, that we will be in the same body- your soul shall live on through me, Big Brother. You will be with me with my every swing and punch at our enemies, you will be w-with me!" His voice broke as he sniffed away another round of sobs, and pressed his forehead into the earth. "Only martyrdom could clean my sins, Abi," he cried. "I've done so much wrong, caused so much pain and strife in so many different ways, especially to myself...I am at a loss to why I deserve to live, why I am still alive?"

He wiped away his tears with his sleeve, and cleared his throat. "Don't worry, Abi, I will join you soon, one day," he whispered. "Oh my brave brother...how I love you, and I will love you, till my last breath." He finally stood up, and took a deep breath in. He took Konur's sword from where it stuck into the ground, and placed it into its sheath he was given earlier. He would fight with it for the rest of his life, holding it strong and firm in his powerful hand, as he fought for Allah's Cause, and for his people. He pressed his palm to his chest, and whispered, "Farewell for now, Abi. I will be back, I promise, either to be buried next to you or to visit you."

----------

Melike waited for Goktug at the foot of the hill, sitting down on a rock perched on the bank of the stream, gently massaging her wounded and stinging stomach. She had heard that they would go and ambush Kulucahisar Kalesi as soon as possible when Osman Bey was healed, and with great disappointment she knew that she would have to sit the battle out- she was in no condition to fight. She sighed as she watched the little fish swim around in the water, and the glistening rays of the setting sun bouncing off the small, reflective waves. She gazed at her reflection, and smiled melancholically at the bruises and cuts that adorned her face, and absentmindedly traced them with her fingers.

"Worried if they would stay forever, are you?"

Melike nearly fell into the stream, startled. She looked up to see Hazal Hatun pompously eyeing her, and she stood up hurriedly. "Hazal Hatun," she greeted, respectfully nodding her head. Hazal nodded back, a coy smile on her face. Anyone who laid eyes on Hazal Hatun would immediately understand that she was a woman who expected to be dealt with with respect and held herself in a high stature- from the way she walked to the shiny, dazzling clothes she wore, embroidered with gold and even silk. She was the sister of Yavlak Arslan Bey, the Bey of a respected tribe known as the Cobanogullari Tribe- Melike had only once seen Arslan Bey, but she already knew that he was exactly like his sister, pompous and self-absorbed...if not more so.