Chapter 13

"Where have you been?" asked Selcan Hatun.

She had been working in the Rug House when Melike arrived, and had come out to greet her. "Bamsi Bey was looking for you." "Sorry, Selcan Ana. I had to get away for a while," said Melike apologetically. "You're flushing- are you alright? Are you ill?" wondered Selcan as she reached out and pressed the back of her hand to the girl's cheek, to feel her temperature. "No, I am alright," fibbed Melike hastily, knowing exactly why she was flushed. She could not stop replaying her interaction with Kongar in her mind, and she was full of bewilderment; he had not even tried to abduct her, and there was no proof that he had brought backup with him. He hadn't hurt her or caused her any harm. His actions and attitude toward her was not only surprising and completely out-of-the-blue, but also oddly welcoming. Melike's heart ached strangely as she thought of the fact that she could never see him again without killing him or at least trying to, and it was baffling her more than anything.

It must be some game he's playing, she thought. One he thinks I will fall for.

"Well he is wrong," she murmured aloud, making Selcan frown. "What?" the older lady asked, and Melike cleared her throat when she realized that she had said it aloud. "Nothing," she said dismissively. "Nothing at all...just a thought." Selcan nodded at her, slightly suspicious, but did not continue to question her.

"What happened whilst I was gone?" asked Melike, trying her best to push Kongar out of her mind. "Erkut Alp came to the tribe, he said that Osman is going to sneak into the Mongols' camp with the Alps to retrieve Genghis Khan's laws," explained Selcan. "Erkut was just on his way with Konur to sneak into a caravan so they could attack it and use it to get into the camp." "And what if they speak in Mongol?" questioned Melike. "I believe my son Konur knows how to speak Mongol, do not worry," Selcan reassured her, and Melike nodded; Konur did indeed know how to speak in the enemy's language.

Just as they were talking, they heard someone clear their throat behind them. Melike and Selcan turned to see Zohre Hatun approaching them, looking rather wary- yet still, she had a haughty look on her face. Selcan suppressed a scoff before taking Melike's arm, about to walk away. "Don't turn the other way, Selcan Hatun," snapped Zohre. "I have many problems. Do not add on to them." "You brought them all upon yourself," said Selcan snarkily, in her most casual voice. Melike cocked her eyebrows in agreement, neither of them facing Zohre. "I did all that because I was afraid," Zohre shot back. "And I was right to be afraid. My son is now gone." Selcan looked at Melike, before they finally turned around to face Zohre. Now that she had their attention, Zohre said, "Come with me. I have things to say, important ones." Selcan nodded and allowed Zohre to lead them a little way away from the Rug House, Melike at her side.

"Now what was it that you were going to tell us?" demanded Selcan. Zohre took a wary look at Melike, and Selcan immediately intervened before anything could be said; "Whatever you wish to say to me, you may say it in front of her," she claimed. "Now, speak." Zohre inhaled deeply. "The sorrow brought by children hurts a mother more than a father, you know that better than anyone, Selcan Hatun," she said, and Selcan nodded in response. Zohre took another deep breath in again, as if asking for help from Selcan was a difficult feat, before passing her a travelling pack she had bundled up and was carrying. "For Batur," she told them, making Melike and Selcan frown.

"I do not know where he is," Zohre continued. "But either of you might...you are bound to go and meet with Osman anytime soon. Please tell him to give this to Batur, please." Selcan sighed. "Zohre-" "I know what you are going to say, Selcan Hatun," interrupted Zohre. "Do not. Yapma. Your words will not make it any better. Dundar Bey disowned Batur, and now he has called upon Bahadir and his mother Hazal to come to the tribe." Selcan's green eyes widened, as well as Melike's hazelly-brown ones. "Hazal Hatun? Bahadir Bey?" she asked, looking amazed. "Were they not banished years ago?" "Indeed they were," said Selcan, looking alarmed. "Is what you are speaking of true, Zohre? Bahadir and his mother Hazal are coming?" Bahadir Bey was Dundar Bey's second son with his other wife, Hazal Hatun, of the Cobanolugllari Tribe. They had been banished from the main Kayi Marquee years ago by Dundar Bey due to problems they had caused in the tribe.