Chapter 24

Osman rode along the dirt roads of the forest in a full gallop, Karayel speeding through the trees and over small creeks. He knew that Kongar and his men were in close pursuit behind him. He rode to a stop at a fork in the paths, and got off his horse. "Go, Karayel!" he exclaimed as he sent his horse off one path before jumping into the bushes. He kept his hand on his sword-hilt, waiting for his pursuitors to appear. He made sure that he was properly hidden in the thick bushes, invisible to where they would stop at the fork in the road. He didn't have to wait long; Kongar and his men appeared soon after Osman got himself comfortably hidden in the bushes. He stopped his men at the fork and looked between the two paths, and ordered his men to check the hoof-marks. A soldier jumped off his horse to examine them, and he grimaced as he stood up after a few moments of kneeling on the ground. "Osman left his horse, sir," he said in a defeated voice. "He sent the horse down that way, but I can't find any of his own footprints."

Kongar yelled in anger as he kicked the poor man whilst he was still on his horse and then got off; he began to punch him viciously, the poor soldier's blood spattering everywhere from his nose and mouth. Osman grimaced at the sight from where he was hiding as Kongar hurled insult after insult and punch after punch at the tracker. "I can't stand stupidity! What kind of tracking ability do you have?" he thundered. "You must've had a shit trainer, that's all I can say!" He finally stopped, and the man groaned on the ground in pain. "If we don't find him, Balgay will have all our heads!" snapped Kongar. "Now hurry it up, we have no time to lose!" He got back on his horse and soon rode off toward the opposite of the path that Osman sent Karayel on, his men following closely behind. Osman grinned as he left. "Kongar...you will either see the truth and return to your true self, or you will die," he murmured before carefully making his way through the forest. 

Kongar continued to ride for another half an hour before halting when he realized how hungry he was. He had not eaten before he set off, as he set off in a hurry. "We'll stop here," he said to his men. "Get a fire going, I'm so hungry I could eat a horse." His horse whinnied at him reproachfully and he laughed at it, humored. "Sorry," he mumbled apologetically before grabbing his bow and arrows and strapping his quiver onto his belt, and dove into the bushes in search of wild birds or chickens to roast. He sighed as he let his mind sink into the happenings of the past few days, and Melike eventually made her way back into his head. He forced back tears that threatened to spill as he thought of her, and how alone and afraid she must feel in the cave. He couldn't bear to look at her for the past hours after giving her the blanket and saying one last goodbye, but felt ashamed that he had left her to only the mercy of his guards, whom he knew would not be merciful at all. He hoped against hope that the guards they were treating her well enough, though he had his doubts. Mongol men were often extremely perverted and lustful, and he knew a beautiful girl like Melike would definitely attract them. He gripped his fists hard at the thought of any of them touching her, and prayed that none of them would.

But he had other priorities on his mind- he had to find Osman, trace him down and watch his actions whilst Balgay was away, and he needed to meet up with him to discuss how they were going to deal with Alisar Bey, according to Balgay's orders from...

But he had other priorities on his mind- he had to find Osman, trace him down and watch his actions whilst Balgay was away, and he needed to meet up with him to discuss how they were going to deal with Alisar Bey, according to Balgay's orders from the message he received earlier. A Mongol soldier had come to the cave in a hurry from the forest and gave him a letter from Balgay, one that told him to find Osman and have an important discussion with him, and to inform him of what would happen if they betrayed the alliance- and Kongar knew that it probably meant threatening Osman with Melike's life. But Kongar, who at that moment wanted nothing more than Melike to be safe, decided that he must get ahold of Osman as quickly as possible, knowing that Osman would be able to bring the girl to safety. And the way Osman rode off from him earlier irritated him even more because of that matter, and the warrior could almost feel his blood boiling in his veins. "Osman! I'll find you!" he growled, annoyed and frustrated that Osman would want to run away from him, knowing full well that they had an alliance and that he should instead greet Kongar in a respectful manner.