Chapter 14

It had been a day since Osman Bey had left the cave, and the Alps were getting restless. They had searched everywhere, and Melike was even sent to the tribe to find him, only to find out from Selcan Hatun and Sumeyye that Geyhatu's commander Toni had taken him away to face Geyhatu in Konya along with Genghis Khan's Laws, and Dundar had just let it happen without protest. She hurried back to the Alps in anguish, discouraged as she was not able to present them with good news. "I don't know what happened to him afterward. I searched the grounds but there's no sign of him," she said to them. Bamsi Bey and Abdurrahman Gazi had joined them and informed them about Toni and Geyhatu's men. "We found that he escaped Geyhatu's men, but they were killed afterward by who we suspect to be Balgay's men," said Bamsi. "Of course, Balgay wants those damned Laws for himself," growled Melike. "He'd even kill his own kind to get them." "Indeed, my sister," said Boran. "Apparently, Samsa Bey has relocated his tribe. He had killed a few Mongol commanders earlier and is expecting a raid." "Samsa Bey didn't do right in killing those commanders," said Konur reproachfully. "He'd get himself right into the storm doing that." "Indeed, Son," said Abdurrahman Gazi. "I feel his argument with Osman Bey has clouded his judgement." "Oh Osman Bey, where are you," wondered Melike aloud, wiping her face stressfully.

Suddenly, the Alps heard the loud thunder of horse hooves, and threw themselves into the bushes. "Who is it?" whispered Boran next to his sister, who held her sword ready. And lo and behold, it was none other than Osman Bey. The Alps ran out of the bushes and hurried towards their bey, and threw their arms around him in a huge hug. Melike grinned at them as she walked next to Bamsi Bey and Abdurrahman Gazi. It was nice to see them happy for once. She realized how rarely she saw the Alps carefree and happy, as they were so serious and dedicated to their work most of the time. She smiled, happy that they were joyous. Osman broke apart from the Alps and walked toward her, Bamsi Bey and Abdurrahman Gazi. "Bamsi Bey," said Osman happily as he hugged the old, kind-faced Bey. "Are you alright, Osman?" asked Bamsi. "Thanks to you, Bamsi Bey," said Osman. Bamsi had given him a dagger to cut his ropes free before Geyhatu's men tried to bring him off, and thus had been a great help in Osman's escape.

"Osman, Bamsi Bey and I had found out that it was Dundar who had informed Geyhatu about the Laws of Genghis Khan," said Abdurrahman Gazi. "Aih, Uncle...he has sold his soul to the Mongols," growled Osman. "Funny story, becoming friends with Geyhatu to save me." "It wasn't to save you then, Bey," said Konur sadly. "He just wanted to turn Balgay and Geyhatu against each other," said Boran. "No fight can be won with laziness and lies," said Osman wisely. "My uncle must've drunk a lot of Byzantine water. If you can't fight like an Alp, you need to step back." "There's more, Osman Bey," chirped up Melike. "Samsa Bey killed a Mongol commander and his soldiers. Balgay is sure to go after him." Osman squeezed his eyes shut and took in a deep breath, as he thought of what to do next. Suddenly, they heard another thunder of horse's hooves and turned around to see Siddik, the Byzantine convert who was previously Salvador, riding towards them. "Selam Aleykum," said Siddik as he got off his horse. "Ve Eleykum Selam," they all replied in unison. "I know what you are discussing, and Sofia knows that Samsa Bey relocated his tribe to Sahin Tepesi Hill, Osman Bey," said Siddik grimly. "Is that so?" asked Osman. Siddik nodded. "Well, then it's time I put my grudges aside to save Samsa Bey. He's in danger," said Osman selflessly. "Sofia shall be by Balgay's side," added Boran. "What shall we do about her?" "We'll set a trap, Boran," said Osman. "One that even a snake such as Sofia will fall into." "What are you thinking, Osman Bey?" asked Siddik. "Siddik, listen to me. Go to Sofia and tell her where Sheikh Edebali is. She wouldn't resist that bait," said Osman, grinning widely. The Alps and Melike got on their horses. "Meanwhile, we must go save Samsa Bey. Come on, Alps! Allahu Akbar!"

----------

Samsa Bey was oblivious to the fact that the Mongols were after him. He sat down in his camp with Cetin Alp, putting up campfires. "Did you make sure the women and children are safe, Cetin?" asked Samsa. "Yes, Samsa Bey. The Alps have taken them to the safe spot," said Cetin. "Well? Why aren't you with them then?" asked Samsa. "If you allow me... I want to fight with you, Bey," said Cetin rather shyly. Samsa smiled, and patted his shoulder. "The hill of martyrs won't be left empty, my Cetin," he said. "But we must be alive now to burn the cruel and protect the helpless. All the poor ones shall be warmed with the fire of freedom we shall set in these lands. We will take lives to prevent the fall of the muslims in these lands." Cetin and the rest of Samsa's Alps smiled up at him in awe. Samsa's bravery and determination was inspiring to them, and they all wanted to fight eagerly alongside him. "We won't give up until we are dead! The enemies united to fight us, but they forgot- if there is cruelty, the Muslims shall rise!" announced Samsa Bey and the Alps replied with a volley of "Allahu Akbar!"s.