Chapter 18

*The picture above is what the area where Melike and Kongar meet frequently looks like :)*

Melike returned to the tribe before sundown and noticed that the atmosphere of the usually bustling tribe was silent and still, as if a cold breeze had taken the life of all the tribe's inhabitants with it. She rode her horse into the stable and tied him up, and left him for her tent after feeding him some oats and preparing his water. Why is everyone so quiet? She wondered to herself as she placed her sword in the weapons rack in her and Boran's tent. She fingered the sword's sheath gently, and smiled as she remembered meeting Kongar in the forest, the way he trusted her and opened up to her despite the barrier between them; their loyalties and origins. She found them completely slipping her mind as she talked to him, and felt nothing more than wanting to save him from his own demise and pain. Not only that, she was charmed by his innocent, charismatic gentleness that he seemed to reserve only for her, underneath the roughness of his Mongol cover.

"Where have you been?"

Melike almost groaned as Sumeyye's voice broke her out of her thoughts whilst she was taking off her headpiece and scarf. "I've needed to be alone," said Melike. "Without letting anyone know?" demanded her hazel-eyed friend. "Sumeyye, I am under major stress because of this tribe's unnecessary drama and antics, give me a break, please," snapped Melike, taking her friend by surprise. "Alright, Melike. Forgive me, I understand. But you should've let someone know," said Sumeyye reproachfully. "Tamam. I'm sorry," mumbled Melike as she changed quickly into her soft nightdress, and began to undo her hair. She had long, tawny brown hair that reached her elbows, and she often tied it in a firm braid or a bun when she had her scarf and headdress on. It was a very similar color to her brother's hair, though lighter and more wavy, whilst Boran's was straight. She was often envied by the other girls of the tribe for the color and wave of her hair, as most of them, including Sumeyye, had dark, almost black straight hair. Melike's was by far the most beautiful.

"I wish I had hair like yours," said Sumeyye with a sigh as she sat down next to her friend, and ran her hand through Melike's soft, sweet-smelling hair. "Yours is just as beautiful, if not more so my dear Sumeyye," said Melike humbly. "Mashaallah...yet, yours reminds me of Boran," said Sumeyye. Melike smiled; she didn't have the heart to tease Sumeyye about Boran. She had been very deeply injured when Boran was banished from the tribe, and Melike felt guilty for being away from the tribe so often whilst Sumeyye was longing for Boran. "Did you hear the news?" Sumeyye asked Melike. "No, what news?" asked Melike timidly. "Boran and I shall be married once they return to the tribe," said Sumeyye happily. "Osman Bey said that no more waiting should be needed." "Oh Sumeyye!" Melike exclaimed in joy as she engulfed her friend in a hug. "That is amazing!" "It is..." But Sumeyye looked saddened suddenly. "Sumeyye, this is good news! Why is your pretty face down with sadness?" asked Melike. "I'm just afraid we'll have to put it to a stop and wait again," said Sumeyye with a sigh. "And I'm afraid of Boran risking his life all the time. I just want us to be married quickly so he doesn't die before we have tied the knot..." a tear ran down her cheek.

Melike wiped away her friend's tear and grasped her hand. "Sumeyye, you have waited long enough. This marriage shall happen if it's the last thing that shall ever happen, and I will make sure of it," said Melike determinedly. "And if Osman Bey or Gunduz Bey cancels it... I shall cause a riot." "Melike!" exclaimed Sumeyye warningly. "So what? You and my brother deserve to be happy," said Melike, as her heart mysteriously ached. She found herself thinking about Kongar once more, and quickly hid him in the back of her mind. "So do you, Melike," said Sumeyye with a slightly sly smile. "I don't need a man to be happy," said Melike. "I am happy here as I am, with you as my best friend and sister, Boran and Konur as my brothers, and Bamsi Bey and Selcan Hatun as parental figures." "Your heart is so content and pure, Mashaallah, Melike," said Sumeyye, fingering her friend's cheek lovingly. "May it forever stay that way." "Inshaaallah, Sumeyye'm," said Melike. "I must leave now, have a good rest, Melike," said Sumeyye before giving Melike one last hug and left the tent. After fully letting down her hair, Melike made wudhuu' and prayed her prayers before going to sleep.