Chapter 15

The night fell and passed, and daylight began to loom over the next day. Osman had captured Sofia and her men the previous evening and detained them apart from each other, Sofia in the prison Osman had made in the Secret Cave and the others were looked after in the woods by the Alps. Melike had returned to the tribe earlier to inform Sumeyye and Selcan Hatun of the current events and returned to Samsa Bey's camp afterward, whilst Osman Bey rode over to the Kulucahisar Kalesi to offer Efendi Yannis the Laws of Genghis Khan to keep in safekeeping in exchange for Sofia, who was his daughter. Osman Bey returned to the camp after Yannis reluctantly accepted his offer, and grinned around at them all. "We will lure Balgay into a trap," he said gleefully. "It's about time, he must pay for the cruelty he's done," said Bamsi Bey. "What are you planning to do, Osman bey?" asked Samsa Cavus. "I plan to take his life," announced Osman. "We will show him that for people who are cruel like him, their lives shall be taken without hesitation. Balgay and his comrades will see that holy Plane Trees will grow up with any storm coming."

"Hay Mashaallah!" Melike complimented with a wide smile as the Alps began to chant 'Allahu-Akbar'. Suddenly, they heard a squeaky exclaim of "Beyyim!" as Erkut Alp rode up to them. The Alps and Melike turned to him in interest as he said, "Bey, Gunduz Bey was abducted, we're looking for him everywhere." "What are you saying, Erkut?" exclaimed Osman, and Erkut's face melted into a sorrowful expression. Melike squeezed her eyes shut as Boran snaked his arm around her shoulders, grimacing. "UGH! BALGAY!" Osman thundered suddenly, making them all jump. "It was he who did this." Bamsi Bey nodded in agreement. "He must want to find out who told Geyhatu about the Laws," Melike spoke up. "Yes, Bacim. Which is why we are now going to Balgay's tent!" exclaimed Osman as he walked toward the horses. "Bey, shouldn't we wait till night for a raid?" asked Boran. "Balgay is at the castle now. We must leave immediately," said Osman. "They must be keeping Gunduz at their camp." He turned to Melike and Konur. "Melike, Konur, stay here," he ordered. "But Bey-" began Konur. "Konurim, you are wounded. Melike can stay here and look after both of you, but then I want her returning to the tribe," commanded Osman. "Watch over Kongar carefully. Make him speak." "Alright Osman Bey," Melike said, nodding timidly. She hugged her brother before Boran joined the Alps on the horse and rode off through the trees.

Whilst Melike and Konur were watching over Kongar in the forests, Sumeyye was looking after Bala in the secret cave. Bala had been captured and injured by Cerkutay and his men a few days before, which resulted in her finding out that her womb was damaged and that she therefore had a low chance of having children- and it devastated her. "My dear Bala, Allah gives and he takes," said Sumeyye soothingly, holding onto Bala's hand. "Have you told Osman? Surely he'll understand." "No, I haven't. I don't know how to," said Bala sadly. "But I know I must tell him one way or another." "Yes, you do...just like how I have to tell Melike that-" Sumeyye stopped mid sentence and sighed. "What is wrong with Melike?" asked Bala, concerned. "I don't know, Bala. She's different," said Sumeyye, holding her head in her hands. "What do you mean by she's different?" asked Bala. "Ever since Kongar captured her, she hasn't been the same. You don't think something happened between them whilst she was in captivity, do you?" Sumeyye asked Bala worriedly.

"Sumeyye, what are you saying?" asked Bala. She was starting to feel extremely concerned at that moment. She cared for Melike very much, and felt upset at the thought of anything bad happening to her. "She does not act like herself around Kongar. It's almost as if she..." Sumeyye grimaced, unable to finish the sentence. "As if she what, Sumeyye?" Bala questioned. "Please don't leave me worried in suspense like this." "I don't know Bala, Melike acts awfully different whenever we talk of Kongar. If we insult him or call him a dog- which he is- she shall act rather defensive, although she tries to hide it," Sumeyye exclaimed. "And she makes rather odd comments about him, saying things which make me feel as if she pities him instead of hates him as she should." Bala stroked her dimpled chin softly, and her eyes widened. "Has Melike been like this about any enemy before?" she asked slowly. "No, of course not. She has insulted every enemy worse than Konur, Boran and I ever have put together," claimed Sumeyye. "People are usually dead scared of her, even Osman Bey admitted it. And what's more, she herself has never been afraid of someone like that before!"