Chapter 32

*early update surprise :)*

"The fruit of treason is tasty, but it is just as poisonous,"

Goktug narrated his past lessons out to Balgay as they fought on the training field. They were specially training together that day as Balgay was planning an attack on Osman scheduled the day after the wedding, which not only upset and angered but confused Goktug; he knew that their alliance was still in place so they could defeat Geyhatu as one, and was bewildered by Balgay's sudden desire to attack. He had thought that Balgay would honour Osman's original plan to ally up and attack as one, but evidently that was not the case. Balgay panted tiredly, after Goktug had thrown him across the field with a powerful kick to the chest. "Our only goal here is to win," said Balgay. "Have I not taught you that?" "You do know that you will pay for betraying Osman?" questioned Goktug. "Beware of that poison, Commander Balgay." Balgay was taken aback at the rather reproachful and critical tone in Goktug's voice, but continued to fight him. Goktug fought back, wishing he could kill him right then and there; but he had his orders from Osman, and if he killed him there, the other Mongols would probably rebel and he would never make it out alive.

The two swung their swords against each other as the clanging sounds of the iron colliding filled the air, and they threw strikes and kicks at each other at every opportunity, Goktug dodging all of Balgay's whilst Balgay fell victim to a few of his. Balgay had witnessed the growing of Goktug's power and strength over the years, from the time he had bought him as a small, skinny, weak young child from the slave market till that present moment. He knew that he had created not only a warrior, but a true killer, one that struck fear into the heart of all his enemies, one that he was proud of. Though Goktug was just a young man, only around 21 years old or a little older if not younger, he had become the most feared soldier in the Mongol Army, and those who knew him were more intimidated by him than the other commanders and generals even. The effect Goktug- or actually, Kongar- had on the Mongols' enemies pleased Balgay greatly, and he wasn't willing to give up his soldier for anything.

Finally, after a long showdown of fighting, Balgay placed his sword to his soldier's neck. "What about betraying me, hmm?" he asked. He smirked at Goktug, eyebrows raised. Goktug smirked back at him and placed his sword down in surrender. "Betraying Osman is victorious, but betraying Balgay means dying in shame," he whispered and Balgay chuckled as he slid his own sword back into its sheath. He thumped Goktug on the shoulder and said, "You have learned more and faster than I thought you would. You've made me proud with your success as a soldier, a warrior, a killer, Kongar." Goktug nodded respectfully as Cerkutay appeared behind them, his face rather infuriated with envy.

"Ahh, Cerkutay!" exclaimed Balgay. "Go to the Kayi Tribe now, tell Osman that our soldiers have arrived and that we are ready to fight Geyhatu. But...whilst that naive child is bursting with happiness, you will kill him, or at least mortally wound him. We will rampage the tribe tomorrow, but it shall begin today with his death!" Goktug's eyes widened slightly and he nearly gasped in shock, but he forced himself to maintain the smirk on his face, widening it to make it look as if he were overjoyed to hear the news. "May the sweet poison of betrayal drip from your sword's hilt." "Osman will be our greatest offering to Erlik Khan," said Cerkutay with a satisfied smirk. "Go to him now Cerkutay. Waste no time," ordered Balgay and Cerkutay did as he was told, rushing off to his horse and riding away from the camp immediately. Goktug knew he had to hurry off after him, forgetting completely that he was supposed to meet Cetin out of his worry and concern for Osman Bey's safety.

"Do you have something on your mind, Kongar?" Balgay asked him suddenly. "N-no, Commander Balgay," Goktug lied. "I just feel the sudden urge to hunt. I'm starving, and you know how I like my meat raw and bloody." Balgay laughed at him and smacked him on his shoulder playfully. "You've earned it, go," he said and Goktug nodded before jumping onto his horse and rushing off after Cerkutay, making sure to use a different route to make sure that it wouldn't look to Balgay as if he were following him.