Chapter 18

Brielle POV

It's another day at work. Things have gotten a little bit better. I've noticed that since I threatened write ups, they gave me a little bit more respect. The paper work has been piling up and I'm currently sitting here trying to make it through this stack of files.

I was reading over a document when Janelle came in my office.

Janelle: Hey Brielle.

Me: Hey Janelle. What's up?

Janelle: Hodges asked to see you in the conference room.

Me: Okay.

I got up and went that way.

When I walked in, I saw Marie in there.

Me: What's going on?

Hodges: Why don't you have a seat?

I sat down at the table, across from Marie.

Hodges: Ms. King, Marie has chose to file a discrimination complaint against you.

Me: A discrimination complaint?

Hodges: Yes. She says that you have been threatening write ups against those of a different race than you.

Me: What? This is...wow.

Hodges: You seem surprised by these complaints.

Me: Because I am. This is outrageous. I have had no problems with Justin and he is a white male.

Marie: He's also gay.

Me: What does his sexuality have to do with anything?

Marie: A lot. You only like the person if they are black/or gay. You're white-phobic and straight-phobic.

Me: Hodges, are you hearing this right now? My former team was mostly white. And we never had any problems. None of them were gay either. You just have a problem with the fact that I was chosen to be this team leader. Since I got here, you and others have been nothing but disrespectful to me. You all didn't complete reports that you were asked to do. I was taking the heat trying to let y'all come to terms with the fact that I was here. It wasn't until I was completely fed up that I put my foot down and told you all that I would be doing write ups for insubordination. Which, as your team leader, I can and will do.

Marie: You don't have what it takes to be this team leader. You're never going to get us anywhere. Hodges. She is the worst choice. You could have picked anyone and you chose her. She wasn't even a part of this team before. She's an outsider who does not belong here.

Hodges: I made the decision to bring Brielle here because she has exactly what it takes to bring this team to another level. She had more qualifications than anyone else and she's been in the bureau for years now. I will not tolerate the disrespect that she has been receiving from you or anyone else. You will also face some consequences for filing a false report.

Marie: How can you just take her word over mine?

Hodges: I'm not just taking her word. I've spoken to every single person on this team. Everyone has said that she never once discriminated against them and some even admitted that they were angry about the fact that I chose Brielle but they have come to terms with it and have realized that she is doing a good job. They also apologized to me for the way they had behaved and have plans on apologizing to Brielle personally. Some even said that you have been plotting to get Brielle out since the day she was introduced to you all because you believed the position was yours.

Marie: Nancy recommended that I take over after she left.

Hodges: She also said that while she does believe you could do it, you still had some things to learn and figure out. She ultimately left it up to me to make the final decision seeing as though I am the director and I felt that Brielle was a better choice. Her credentials say it all.

Marie: Brielle, you should just resign.

Hodges: Even if she resigns, you will not get that position. Based on your recent actions, you are going to be demoted.

Marie: Demoted? To what?

Hodges: Office assistant. You'll be scheduling appointment, making coffee runs, things like that. Maybe it'll give you a chance to do some thinking and after 90 days, you'll have the chance to get your current position back after careful evaluation by Brielle and myself.

Marie: This isn't right.

Hodges: It's what happens when you decide to file false complaints. Brielle also has the options of filing formal complaints against you for making false claims and insubordination and you could receive some charges from the bureau that will remain on your record permanently.

Me: I'm not going to do that. I believe this is sufficient. I hope things can get better.

I directed my attention to Hodges.

Me: Am I able to go now? I have an appointment.

Hodges: Go right ahead. We can have a follow up meeting later on.

Me: Alright. Have a good rest of your day.

Hodges: You as well.

I left and went back to my office to get my things. I have to take some docs home to finish but I am going to my 26 week check up. We find out our genders today too.

I can't wait to find out.
____________________________________
Chapter 19 coming soon