V1 Chapter 7:A Troublesome Day

On a stage covered by a single spotlight stood Jaune and Cardin, both having their weapons drawn. Cardin is standing across form Jaune, his mace over his shoulder waiting for Jaune to attack. Meanwhile, Jaune is slouched over and out of breath, using his sword to stand up. After catching his breath, Jaune starts to charge at Cardin, doing an overhead strike with his Sword, which misses. He turns his head, only to get hit by Cardin, making him fly away and drop his shield. Jaune quickly stands back up and readies his sword, charging again. As he does another overhead strike, Cardin easily blocks it with the handle of his mace, pushing Jaune back.

Cardin:This is the part where you lose.

Jaune:Over my dead-

As Jaune goes to speak, Cardin knees him in the gut, making Jaune drop his sword and fall to the ground. All he can do is look up and watch as Cardin lifts his mace and prepares to deal the final blow. That is, until a loud buzzer sound erupts, followed by the real lights in the room turning on, making Cardin stop his attack.

Glynda:Cardin, that's enough.

Cardin puts his mace down as Glynda walks into the stage. Two holo-screens are seen, each having a picture of the two students fighting with their aura underneath it. Cardin's aura was still in the green, basically untouched, whereas Jaune's aura was deep into the red.

Glynda:Students, as you can see Mr. Arc's aura has now dropped into the red. In a tournament style duel, this would indicate that Jaune is no longer fit for battle and that the official may call the match. Mr. Arc, it's been weeks now, please try to refer to your scroll during combat.

Jaune does just that while she talked and looks at his scroll, seeing his aura in blinking red.

Glynda:Gauging your aura will help you to decide when it's appropriate to attack, or when it's better to move to a more... defensive strategy. We wouldn't want you to be gobbled up by a Beowolf, now would we?

Cardin:Speak for yourself...

Cardin picks up his mace and leaves the stage.

Glynda:Remember everyone! The Vytal Festival is only a few months away! It won't be long before students from the other kingdoms start arriving in Vale, so keep practicing!

As she says this Yang, Weiss, Ruby, and Skylar start to show some excitement for the festival, with Yang trowing some punches, Weiss shakes her hands in anticipation, Ruby does a happy dance, and Skylar clapping very fast.

Glynda:Those who choose to compete in the combat tournament will be representing all of Vale.

The bell rings, letting everyone know to leave to go to their next class. Skylar was walking next to Jaune and Pyrrha, before she saw Y/n throwing a bag away. She waved goodbye to the two and walks over.

Skylar:Hey Y/n!

Y/n jumps from fright and turns to Skylar.

Y/n:H-hey Sky! How's it going!

Skylar:... Are you okay?

Y/n:What, me? Totally fine. Nothing wrong here!

Skylar:What was in that bag?

Y/n:Bag? What bag?

Skylar:... The one you just threw away.

Y/n:Oh! Ya know... Stuff.

Skylar:What type of stuff?

Y/n:... Things...

Skylar:You do realize Yang told me about the mai-

Y/n:SSHHHH!

Y/n quickly put his hand over Skylar's mouth and looks around. After seeing no one else was around, he removed his hand.