V1 Chapter 8:In the Forest of Red

It is now night time at Beacon Academy. Most students are getting ready for bed, preparing for the next day of school. For team JNPR, however, it is a different story. In their dorm, we see Pyrrha looking out of a window, worriedly. Meanwhile, Nora is jumping on her bed while Ren is cleaning his gun and Skylar is seen at a desk doing some late night homework. The team leader, however, was nowhere to be seen. As Nora continues to jump, she turns to her team.

Nora:How come Jaune gets home so late?

Skylar:I could name a reason.

Ren:He's become rather scarce ever since he's been fraternizing with Cardin.

Skylar:And that's the one!

Nora:That's weird. Doesn't he know we have a field trip tomorrow? We need our rest!

As she says this, Nora jumps one last time, flipping while doing so, and landing on the bed on her back.

Pyrrha:I'm sure our leader knows exactly what he's doing.

Nora:Hmm... I guess so...

Little did they know, their leader was standing out of their door, listening to their conversation. He slowly closes the door to not alert them, and hangs his head.

???:Hey Jaune.

Jaune turns around, surprised, only to see Ruby and Y/n standing there.

Ruby:Long time no see!

Y/n:Did you get locked out again?

Jaune:Oh, uh, nope! Heh, got it!

Ruby:So, where have you been lately?

Jaune:I uh... (sighs) I messed up. I did something I shouldn't have and now Cardin's got me on a leash and Pyrrha won't even talk to me... I'm starting to think coming to the school was a bad idea.

Jaune steps back and leans against the door, then slides down it until he is sitting on the floor.

Jaune:I'm a failure.

Ruby:.. Nope!

Jaune:Nope?

Ruby:Nope. You're a leader now, Jaune. You're not allowed to be a failure.

Jaune:But, what if I'm a failure at being a leader?

Ruby:Mmm... Nope!

Jaune:(small laugh) You know, you're not the easiest person to talk to about this kind of stuff.

Y/n:Yeah, it's like arguing with a brick wall.

Ruby playfully punches Y/n's arm, making him laugh, before sitting down next to Jaune. Y/n crouches down in front of the two.

Ruby:Jaune, maybe you were a failure when you were a kid, (Jaune slouches with a sigh) and you might have even been a failure the first day we all met, (Jaune slouches deeper with a bigger sigh) but you can't be one now. You know why?

Jaune:Uhhh, because-

Y/n:Because it's not just about you anymore. You have a team now that's going to need a leader to help them through their situations, you and Ruby both have to do that now.

Ruby:Right, We have to put our teammates first, and ourselves second.

Y/n stands back up and grabs Ruby's outstretched hand to help her up as well.

Ruby:Your team deserves a great leader, Jaune. And I think that can be you. Have a goodnight Jaune.

Ruby enters her room. As Y/n was going to, he stops and looks back at Jaune.