Around The Corner

Aimes Pov.
I woke up the next morning and checked the clock. Damn it I slept in it was almost 10:30. I looked up exspecting Hans to be sharpening skates, but he wasn’t. That’s weird, Hans is always up early. I decided I should probably check on him. I slowly opened his bedroom door, he was still sleeping in his bed. I smiled, God his room was so messy. I walked over to his bed, he was lying there so… stiffly. I then noticed his chest wasn’t moving.

“Hans?” I lightly shook the man. 

Nothing happened.

“Hans?” I said a little louder.

Nothing. Oh God please no, please.

“Hans!” I yelled and shook him more.

No. God no. Tears streamed down my face as I kept shaking him.

“Hans! Hans!” He wouldn’t get up.

I ran to the phone. I was pacing around the living room hearing the dial tone ring.

“9-1-1 what’s your emergency”

“I need a doctor! Foster Drive 225. My… family friend, He’s lying in bed not breathing” I rushed out.

“We have an ambulance on the way Miss. Can you stay on the phone?”

“Yes” I sniffed as I cried.

I continued to pace around the living room. Until an ambulance arrived. I got off the call and a man had me sit down instead of pace.

“Miss can you tell me your name?”

“Aimes Bombay” I sniffed.

“Alright, and how do you know this man?” He questioned.

“He’s a friend. He’s like a grandfather” I sniffed.

He wrote the things down in his notebook.

“Is there anyone we can call? Like an adult or something, a parent?”  

“My brother's mom” I nodded. He seemed confused by my statement but nodded.

“Alright what’s her number, I’ll give her a call” 

I gave the man Casey’s number and then just sat there. A woman and a man came out of Hans' bedroom and I quickly ran up to them.

“What happened! Is he okay!” I yelled.

Suddenly Casey came in the door.

“Amethyst” she exclaimed and ran up and hugged me.

I cried into her chest as she rubbed my back.

“Ma’am I’m sorry. Your friend has passed away” The woman spoke.

Casey started to cry as I held her tighter and cried. I wanted my dad, I wanted Charlie, and Adam. I wanted the Ducks. I cried for hours, I was angry. 

Casey took me to the coffee shop and let me skip school. I was angry at the world. I loved Hans like a grandfather. He was so sweet and kind to everyone. I thought about the conversation last night, and what Hans had said. “Goodbye Amethyst”. He was lying when Charlie and I got concerned, he was dyeing. He just didn’t want to scare us. That made me cry again, I didn’t even notice. I wish I could’ve done something, even though I knew he died naturally of old age, I wanted to do something. I sat at the bar on the corner all day, just thinking about everything. I wanted to see Charlie, I wanted him to be here and hug me, and I wanted to be there for him. Eventually I got so angry I slammed my knife into the counter before I noticed I was holding it. 

“Alright, no more knives for you” Casey sighed, taking it away. 

“Sorry” I mumbled.

Casey sat beside me as she handed me like my 5th cup of coffee, but I was as hyper as if it was water. I felt absolutely horrible. I started to cry again, Casey rubbed my back comfortingly. 

Earlier Casey drove over town to find Charlie when he didn’t come here after school. Now she was back, and it was dark outside. Suddenly the coffee shop door opened. I didn’t look to see who it was though.

“Mom” I recognized that voice.

I turned my head to see Charlie. I ran up to him instantly and trapped him in a hug and began to cry more. 

“Mom what’s...” Charlie trailed off.

“I’ve been trying to reach you” She sniffed “Hans… passed away” she was trying not to cry.

“What?” Charlie sighed in disbelief.

“It was his time to go” She sniffed again “Aimes was the one who found him” she explained.

At the news Charlie wrapped his arms around me tighter.

“Oh sis” he sighed as I cried into his chest. 

He held me there, holding me tight and rubbing my back.

“I’m so sorry” Charlie sobbed.

“It’s okay. I was there, I know. I forgive you” I sniffed.

Charlie pulled away from me.

“What?” he choked out.

“I was at Hans last night. When you were there, I hid around the corner” I sighed.

Charlie just grabbed me and pulled me into a tight hug again.

“I’m so sorry. I’m so so sorry” he cried.

“It’s okay” I sniffed “We’re gonna be okay”

Casey held both of us, as we all cried. I haven’t felt this sad since Freddy died. I was so angry with myself. I hated this! Why’d he have to die!

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Sorry for being MIA