27

"How about charms in your hair?" I suggested

He crossed him arms with a little smile on his face.

"Maybe some other day. For now, I'll let my shit grow." He pointed at the cigarette pack on the table.

I handed it to him.

"Why don't you just drop out?" He asked, lighting a cigarette.

"Because I think its better for me to finish. That way when I graduate, I can go to college. A-And get a good job in the future. I can't live with you guys forever."

He offered me a puff.

I shook my head. "I'm good."

"Why can't you stay with us?" He raised his eyebrows.

"Because I don't want to be around all the drugs, violence, and gore. I understand that you guys do what you do to thrive, but this isn't my scene. I've seen way too many dead bodies. I hate that shit."

"My first was my uncle."

"Huh?" I tilted my head.

"The first body I ever saw was my uncle's." He made a motion with his hand. "Off a balcony." He said with the most calmest voice. "He wasn't really my uncle, but it is what it is. You?"

"Um.. It was a woman I didn't know."

He sat back. "Storytime?"

"Okay..When i was 7, I was walking home from school. I usually walked with Craig but he was in jail for dumb stuff.. My parents were both working, so I was alone. There was a whole abandoned block I had to walk through to get to my neighborhood." I shivered just thinking back. "I was minding my own business. I heard a car coming closer. I ducked behind some trashcans. The car stopped and they dumped something. It was a loud thud. They zoomed away."

Jahseh bounced his leg up and down as he brought the cigarette back to his lips.

"I ran to whatever it is that they threw and I noticed it was a woman. She was naked. Bruises up and down her legs, around her wrists, and on her face. They chopped off her tits. Like they mutilated her. Her..um.... I-It was the most traumatizing thing ever. Its like t-they tried to rape her with a knife. She..um.. She was pregnant. The slash on her throat was so deep, her head could come off."