Chapter 66

Sidney shivered as he broke the surface of the crashing waves. The water was as rough this morning as his frayed nerves. He could feel the power of the sea pull him out and he knew this to be a dangerous time to swim and he needed the burst of strength to bring him back to shore.

Playing the conversations in his head he paddled, putting all his rage into his strokes as if he pummeled the sea making the movements that would bring him safely close to shore. It would do no one good if he drowned.

Almost as soon as his toes touched the pebbled beach he crawled from the waves on his hands and knees flopping onto his back as the seawater still splashed over him. He coughed and choked and tried to get further up but his muscles rebelled and he wondered if he would die of exposure, laying naked on the south coast.

Thinking of propriety he looked to his clothes down the beach from him far enough off that he would need to find his feet to make it over to them. Scanning the small cliff he looked as the birds flew overhead in search of stranded sea life along the shore.

He summoned remaining strength and came to his feet as his numb muscles concerned him. Charlotte had been worried about his safety at such an early-season swim and he had assured her he would be fine. So he had to get to his feet and rush himself to a fire before he succumbed to the cold.

How he found himself in his room nearly a half-hour later, he was not sure. He recalled making his way back to the house on numb and shaky feet but sitting in the chair by the fire was almost as surreal to him as the warm cup of tea in his hand.

"Miss Heywood has already ordered you a bath." came the footman's voice from the door. "She was worried you would catch a chill and insists you warm up."

Sidney nodded feeling warm inside even if it had not transferred to his skin.

"Is the rest of the house awake?" he asked

The footman shook his head. "Some of the guests still sleep. Lord and Lady Babington are but only now rising."

Sidney shook and nodded. "My thanks." He said as he sipped at his tea in deep thought.

Downstairs Charlotte checked the kitchens where the servants were finishing the breakfast and still preparing for the day's meals. Charlotte was overlooking the list that Lady Denham wanted her to check.

"Now you have enough sugar for the sugar sculptures and green caps?" she asked looking at the paper.

The cook huffed and nodded as she hefted a bag of flour onto the counter. "Yes, Miss, we got more than enough I assure you," she muttered. "Get thee up to the dining room Miss an' let me get to my work," she said chiding her with a smile.

Charlotte took a small pastry off the sheet and juggled it in her hand to prevent the hot sweet from burning her hand.

"Serves you right you little pincher." the cook said as she whipped her with her cloth. "Now get thee from 'ere. " the cook said rushing her up the stair.

Charlotte ran with a smile on her face and into yet another large and looming form.

"Ah, Charlotte." Captain Warrick said with a low voice. "Where are you off to in such a hurry?"

Charlotte stepped back and looked around. "To the dining room," she answered. "I am hungry," she said still holding the overly hot pastry in her hand but she endured it for the moment.

He looked at her with a serious expression lacking the usual self-assuredness she was used to.

"I am sorry about last night," he said in a low voice. "I just wanted, I don't know..." he sighed and turned. "I told myself I shouldn't but I had to let you know before things happened. I-"

She shook her head. "Captain Warrick, stop. If you are about to do things you know I would not approve of I would ask you to just keep my name and reputation out of it." she stopped him.

He nodded and swallowed. "Exactly my aim." he cleared his throat. "I know you haven't been as keen on the gothic play, but I had an idea," he started. "I am not as busy as you at present, and as such am more available to coordinate. I thought it also good that I ask Mrs. Campion to join me in that venture."

Charlotte frowned and nodded. "Seems a sensible scheme. I wish you well," she answered.

Captain Warrick looked down and a shade of disappointment ghosted across his face. "Indeed. I thought so what with you always rushing about at Lady Denham and Sanditon's bidding." he offered his arm. "Come allow me to escort you to breakfast at a more leisurely pace."

Charlotte took it and smiled at him conspiratorially. "As much as I wish to be left out of it I must confess my curiosity at what your real game is," she said with her eyes sideways at him.

He smiled and looked down, then to her. "That will all be revealed in due course. For now, enjoy the flutterings of excitement my dearest Charlotte."

They came to the grand stair and Charlotte's eyes found Sidney's. He looked warm and clean. She nodded to him as they passed.

"Good morning Captain Warrick, Miss Heywood..." his voice dropped.

Charlotte just stared as they passed.

A throat clearing brought Sidney's attention behind him.

"Good morning Eliza," he said over his shoulder and looked back down.

"Oh Sidney," His fiance's voice stopped him a mid-step.

He sighed and turned on his heel as he watched her descend the steps to him. Charlotte and Captain Warrick had moved past and went on into the dining room having not waited for him.

"Yes Eliza?" he asked.

She smiled and looked past him to see that they were not overheard. "I know you will be quite busy with all the business of Sanditon and then the events that are planned I will be very much on my own." she started, "But Captain Warrick was speaking of the Gothic play he was very interested in organizing and I quite volunteered myself as partner in that project." She looked a little nervous as she mentioned it.

Sidney shrugged. "If you have a flair for the dramatic what a boon that would be to the entertainment." he shrugged. "If it pleases you," he said.

She smiled. "It does. I confess this company is not easy for me." she adjusted her shawl and smiled. "Though it is vastly more diverting than London is at this present time."

Sidney nodded and offered his arm. "Come, let us to break our fast," he said as his stomach growled. The exertion of the morning had made him ravenous.