Chapter 127

Sidney wasted little time in his task of trying to settle Mabbin in and around the place while hoping he could secure the young lad another situation soon as favorable as the Sanditon House stables for he was unsure how long this would be allowed.

The pair strolled around the parkland for a short time now that the rain lifted to a drizzle and mist. A brief respite that allowed him to show the boy around the grounds better. As the sun peeked out momentarily from behind the dark clouds he took Mabbin around to meeting many of the servants on his way to show him to the stables.

There was little for Sidney to remain, for he knew little to nothing about laboring in a stable so he waved the boy off to the man in the know. He did observe a moment to see he took to all tasks eagerly and answered questions promptly, while also impressing the man who was in charge of both the horses and asses of Sanditon House proper.

The boy had promise and Sidney hoped he did not fail the lad by bringing him all this way only to not be able to offer him anything.

After a time Sidney went to Sanditon on foot which was not his normal mode of travel but since his mind already was moving a mile a minute he thought that a walk to be the right speed for such an anxious mind. And for the moment it was not raining.

Within a quarter of an hour, he was in Trafalgar house waiting in the Foyer for a stack of offers and contracts from Tom who would collect them when Sidney was away as he had been on his trip to Scotland.

"You look worried." His brother Tom asked him. "Anything you need to tell me?" He pressed while pulling the papers back.

Sidney's face grew serious and frustrated at his brothers probing. "Just give me the papers Tom."

Tom handed them over. "I think we have most of the finished apartments let for an entire year, and a few even sold outright. The more lavish apartments on Waterloo went for top dollar." he puffed himself up proudly but then stopped startled and turned excitedly. "Almost forgot the inquires for the second grouping of the apartments on the new Barkley street. If they are ready by summer we could have them half-filled."

Sidney smiled and took the other packet of papers from Tom. "Thank you," he said and turned.

"Won't you stay for tea?" Mary asked abruptly coming around the corner.

Sidney turned around a little frustrated but he forced a smile and nodded. "Maybe just a cup."

It was not long before he was sitting around the table with a cup in hand and Mary's expectant look on her face and a penetrating silent stare from his elder brother.

"What?" Sidney asked uncomfortably. "What is it?"

Mary frowned. "Did I not see you and Charlotte go out on the veranda last night?" she asked.

Sidney's jaw tightened a fraction and he held his breath a moment.

"I do think it looked rather warm between you from my limited view." Mary continued telling him she had seen their kiss and she hoped that meant some things were more decided than they were.

Sidney blushed he could feel the burning ears that stuck out just a little.

"Ah yes. The weather was warm before the storm that is, Sir Edward Denham blew in." Sidney admitted. "He and I had words, and well... It came to fists. My fist to be exact." he admitted nonchalant.

Tom looked at him surprised. "You did not hurt him did you?" he asked concerned.

Sidney sighed. "I am afraid he was hurt, but more from the bottle he was drinking from that my fist. He was bleeding last I saw with worthless threats seeping from his mouth." He sighed. "I suppose we have an enemy, Tom."

"Let us just pray Lady Denham still lives and will for many days to come," Tom said as he went to his own cup.

Sidney looked down and tried to not expose the knowledge he held both about the previous will, and about Lady Denham's untimely demise. He could not trust his brother not to run to Sir Edward with the news. All at the table in Sanditon house that morning had agreed to wait as long as possible to announce the unfortunate news. It was in all of their benefits to remain silent even if for another afternoon, or day if possible. It bought them time to plan or devise a way out. He had a week last time to right the wrongs of Sanditon. He was not sure he had that long now.

"You saw her today did you not?" Tom asked hopefully.

Sidney shook his head. "I was at my work very early." he tried to excuse.

Diana came inside the front door noisily and Sidney sighed in relief at the distraction.

"Sidney!" She exclaimed. "I hardly saw anything of you last night," she said coming in to greet her brother. "And you seemed so serious," she said kissing him on the cheek. "More than the usual of course," she said rushed and sat down but energy exuded from her with her hem soaked in mud. "Oh, delicious scones. I do so love the new cook you have."

Mary nodded and smiled. "Yes, we very much like her too. Thank you, Sidney, for your -" she was about to say generosity but she knew how much feeling indebted to someone affected Tom. "Thank you," she said not completing her thought but knowing he would understand.

Arthur came in behind breathless. "Honestly sister, did you not hear me shouting for you to wait for me?" he said bracing himself on his knees as he labored to catch his breath."

"If you could shout you could have kept up. Arthur, when I slow down you try to give up. I know how much you hate to be alone." she smiled teasingly and turned from him to the little tea group "Dr. Fughs has changed my life I think. I wake with less pain and all it took was two long walks a day. Perfect activity to oil the limbs, he says." she turned. "Isn't that right Arthur?" she asked.

Arthur shook his head. "No, I do believe these walks are going to do me in." his voice was strained.

Diana shook her head and turned then grew concerned. "You do look as white as a sheet. Perhaps you had better sit," she said suddenly concerned.

He smiled. "I can shift myself still," he said breathlessly. "I shall come when I wish."

Sidney sighed and assessed his brother. "You can't stand back up straight can you?"

Arthur looked at him sadly and shook his head. "No, I think I cannot. I may be stuck in this bent position."

Setting his tea aside he stood and went to his younger brother and helped to guide him to a wall.

"There now use that to lift yourself back into a straight stance," he said.

Diana stood concerned. "Oh Arthur, perhaps a little less tomorrow I think."

Arthur looked at her his eyes wide. "Tomorrow woman!" he said frustratedly and in immense pain as he felt his back ratcheted back straight a few notches. "I will not go on a walkabout with you for a sennight!"

Diana looked at him crossly. "Oh really Arthur, you don't need to take that tone with me." she shook her head. "Perhaps the bathing machines will give you some relief?"

Sidney took his hat and cane and nodded to Mary and Tom as they watched the drama of Arthurs back pain resolve.

He stepped out into the waterlogged street that he had come down and he cursed his desire to not take his horse Sir for his boots were now covered in muck again and it looked like the rains would fall again soon. He would need to tour the building and hurry back to the house to look over the papers he had collected. Maybe he could manage to convince the new holder of Lady Denham's estate that it was still a sound venture. But if it was Sir Edward, he was not sure he could.