Chaper 110

Esther stood concerned at the front doors of Sanditon House awaiting the carriage that was coming up the lane. She hoped it brought news of Charlotte if not herself. It had been a whole week since the drama and Lady Denham was hanging on by a thread. But this time Esther was praying the old woman was not taken from her.

She was further disturbed by the news that Sir Edward Denham her loathsome stepbrother had also returned to Sanditon and was taking rooms in the crown hotel. She had not happened into town for fear that she would not be there with Lady Denham to the last.

With Edward's return, Clara skulked off back to London with Crowe to avoid rumors endangering her upcoming wedding.

Esther feared her husband would remain friends with Crowe after the baffoon married. An association with Clara was entirely out of the question on every level.

She knew her husband would agree, but the loss of Crowe would hurt him deeply and she just hoped the man wised up and cut that connection before it was too late.

As the horses approached she could see it was Captain Warrick inside the carriage and his expression looked dower and serious. Esther's hand dropped down from her brow, startled. Her husband stood at her side and mirrored his surprise.

Stepping out of the coach Warrick held his hat in his hand. "Afternoon. I am sorry I did not write of my delayed arrival."

Esther frowned and crossed her arms. "Afraid the kidnapping of Miss Heywood would sour relations?" she asked coming to the point.

"Cousin, you are unforgivably late." Lady Susan said from the foyer interrupting the harsh questioning.

Captain Warrick looked tense and nodded to the Babingtons while he strode past them to the inside. "You all look like a sad party. What has happened?"

Lady Susan smiled and nodded. "We are a merry enough party under the circumstances. Sanditon is doing marvelous and the Prince Regent was delighted with the festivities, but London called him back. But with promises to return." her eyes focused. "But what of you, Charlotte missing, and Heiress on the run? Where have you been?" She lowered her voice.

Captain Warrick noticed Mrs. Campion on the landing of the stairwell.

"I will reveal all shortly, but I must share but a word with Mrs. Campion," he said seriously his eyes locking with the woman's cold blue ones above them all. Her skin looked pale and the woman looked to refuse the request but her chin shot up defiant to society rules and nodded coming down the staircase as the others looked on in confusion.

Lady Susan moved to follow as a chaperone but Captain Warrick stopped her from following and shut the drawing-room door behind him.

Lady Susan stood in front of the closed doors surprised. She had never been so blatantly shut out. Her cousin was a known rouge. Surely Mrs. Campion would have liked to have a chaperone.

Turning she found the equally puzzled faces of Lord and Lady Babington.

"What could he have to speak to her about?" Esther asked shocked.
Lady Susan stood dumbfounded. "I have no idea." She shook her head. "My cousin is not the private conversation kind of man." her voice was quiet.

Esther looked at her husband. "What do you think of all this?" she asked lord, Babington.

He shook his head. "Your suspicions are probably better than mine."

All of them stood outside the drawing-room awaiting the conclusion of the private conversation within. Lord Babington pacing slowly back and forth pausing every few steps in hopes that they would hear the words shared within but none of them willing to press their ear to the door.