Chapter 153

Lady Susan looked over her little book and rolled her eyes. Life was tedious again, waiting. She could hear the clock by the wall and its infernal tick and tock all afternoon long. She had half a mind to go for a walk, but without Charlotte a turn about the town just seemed unfulfilling. Without her dear friend pointing things out she just saw a bustling town that had aspirations of something grand.

She missed her cousin who had been playing a game without her with Mrs. Campion, and Charlotte now drug off into the wilds of south England away from the island of sophistication that Sanditon had become. London now called to her without those she cherished about. Mr. Feathersly must miss her and she missed him more and more with every passing tick and tock.

London and Feathersly would need to wait.

Putting the book aside she heard the manservant open the front door and the little man Mr. Sidney Parker had brought home with him waltzed in like he owned the place.

"Well how do you do young Sir?" she asked with a quizzical amusement. She was thankful for the distraction of such a commanding presence.

"Afternoon," he nodded stiffly and pulled his hat from his head as he struggled to remember the new manners he was learning.

She bowed her head and watched as Mr. Tom and Sidney Parker both entered carrying loads of things.

"Lady Susan," Sidney said with a warm smile. "We have business with Lady Babington, is she in?"

Susan smiled. "Yes, she is having a lie-down. If it can wait I would suggest an hour, perhaps two. She has a headache."

Sidney went to protest that he intended to be gone within the hour. That was if he could fit in a good shave. But that was only if he thought he could hold the blade steady. It seemed selfish in light of Esther's headache.

"I am afraid it cannot wait," Mabbin said matter factly taking control of the interaction.

Dropping the box Sidney moved forward wanting to hurry things for his own purpose. "I have to agree. The lad is right."

Lady Worcester smiled and nodded as she read his expression. "I will get her myself then. Please make yourself comfortable."

Sidney left the box in the foyer and the pile of goods alongside. While Tom followed. But young Mabbin just stood watch over the things that had been in his keeping. Lady Susan took note of the stubborn demeanor of the child. It reminded her of Aiden once.

"I am going to tell her about the solicitor," Tom whispered.

Pouring himself a drink Sidney shrugged. "I suppose all this drama with the will should be settled."

Lady Babington came down the stair and had not noticed the rubbish at Mabbin's feet.

"Afternoon gentlemen," Esther said with tired eyes. "What settled?"

Sidney looked to Tom who had seemed to have lost his nerve.

"Esther." he nodded respectfully even though he used her familiar name. "The other day when Mabbin disappeared Tom and Arthur went searching for him." Sidney started. "They found Mabbin but also the solicitor gravely injured by a man he thought was his driver."

Esther's hands covered her mouth in shock and horror. "Is he well?"

Tom finding his voice nodded. "Yes, he is very well. We believed Sir Edward had hired a man to do away with him and the will."

Esther sat down shakily. "Oh, that is unfortunately not a surprise at this point. Is Mr. Hale well? And is the will safe?"

Sidney looked to Tom who had better knowledge of such things listened to his brother explain the man's condition.

After a longer winded explanation, a cough sounded from the foyer drawing all their attention back to young Mabbin.

"Oh yes, and further this young lad has something to give you." Tom gestured to the boy.

Esther who now noticed the box at the lad's feet and the blankets wrapped up to be toted.

"Is that?" she whispered and Lady Worcester moved close to her for support. "I thought it was all lost in the fire." she put her hand to her mouth as tears fell. "How?" she asked.

Mabbin smiled and shrugged. "It wasn't safe anymore, so I hid it. Then I ran off and forgot to tell anyone," he said sheepishly. "I am very sorry to worry you so."

Standing and going to the dirtied box which was still locked she crouched low. "Oh no dear boy..." she wiped at tears. "You should be handsomely rewarded," she said with shining eyes and a smile. "We should send for the solicitor," she whispered. "That is if he is well enough."

Sidney nodded trying to take his chance to leave. "I shall leave you to it then."

Esther stopped him. "No, please stay," she whispered. "I shall need to send for my dear brother and management of the man is going to be necessary I believe," she said regretfully. "Also a constable perhaps at ready," she said with a sigh touching the space between her forehead and nose.

Lady Susan perked up seeing some entertainment before her. "I shall ask the servants to prepare tea."

Sidney nodded but masked his frustration. He wanted to leave for Willingden, but he had been caught up in more of the ever-increasing drama of Sanditon.

Would it never let go of him enough to even have a chance with Charlotte?

"I think we can manage it all well enough without him," Tom spoke up in defense of him leaving knowing he wanted to leave for Willingden.
Esther shook her head. "No, please, for Lady Denham?" she begged.

Sidney found her request impossible to ignore.

"It is time to know the last wishes of Lady Denham is it not?" She asked. "Hasn't the fate of Sanditon been in question long enough?"

Sidney nodded. "Of course." he had to agree. Though his financial connection to her estate was about to be severed with the settlement of the debt the woman still owned most of the land surrounding the town upon her death.

Curiosity and duty grounded him to the town for the foreseeable afternoon. Charlotte and WIllingden would be forced again to wait. Along with himself.