109(M)

Third Best Birthday Ever

                       clare009

"Come along, Song. It's your birthday."

The Doctor beamed out at her from between the TARDIS doors. His sonic flicked, and the locks on her cage clicked open.

A shiver of excitement ran through her. River pushed open her cell gate and stepped quickly into the Doctor's waiting arms. His lips met hers with a grin as the TARDIS doors snapped shut and sealed out the sound of wailing klaxons.

River pulled back from the Doctor's embrace and cocked her head. "So, what is it this year, my love? Last year we dined on the edge of a super volcano, and the year before that you took me to see the capping of the great pyramid."

He tapped her on the nose. "No. Not going to tell you yet. You'll just have to wait and see."

His whole frame vibrated and River knew he was itching to show her. She grinned in return. "Do I need to dress for the occasion?"

"Oh, no no. It's nothing like that. Not unless you want to, of course. But I have to tell you, that this is going to be the best one yet."

"How long have I got?"

"As long as you want. It's a time machine." He giggled.

"Oh, god, you are giddy aren't you? Well, give me twenty minutes to get cleaned up." River leaned in and kissed him again, feeding a little off his infectious energy. She felt giddy herself as she sashayed to her room.

After a quick shower and a spritz of her curls, she settled for a fresh pair of white slacks and a white halter top that clung in silky folds against her bare skin. She slipped on some chunky black heels, ones that wouldn't bother her if she had to do any running, and strode back to the TARDIS console room.

The Doctor leaned against the railing as he waited for her. He held his hands in front of him, then shifted them to the rail, then moved them back as he attempted to find a nonchalant pose. He licked his lips a little as River walked down the stairs.

"You are very pleased with yourself this year, aren't you?" River said.

"I'm brilliant, that's all. You might want to hold on to something."

He flicked his fringe out of his eyes and leaned over to pull a lever on the console down. They spun smoothly out of the vortex, and then the TARDIS began to shake and shudder, like a car going down a dirt road.

The Doctor ran around the console, twisting knobs and flipping switches as he went. The turbulence increased and sent River flying forward. The Doctor caught her neatly, depositing her in a chair.

"I told you to hold on." He grinned at her.

"What's going on? Why aren't the stabilizers on?" River got up and reached for the blue buttons, but the Doctor swatted her hand away.

"Oh no you don't. I've calculated this to the the umpteenth degree, best not interfere with anything, dear."

He manoeuvred her back to the chair, then continued his mad dash around the console. His eyes held a manic gleam and River could see a fine sheen of sweat form on his forehead. The rattling became so intense, she thought she would lose all her teeth. The TARDIS creaked and groaned under an unseen stress.

"She doesn't like this, Sweetie," River said through clenched teeth.

The Doctor gripped the console in front of the monitor as gallifreyan figures streamed across the screen too fast for River to read. "Come on, old girl, you can do it."