Chapter 16

I was walking around the town, still in the land of greens. Shikamaru said that we would probably be leaving around 4pm today and it was only 1pm so I decided to explore the place a little, ya know.

I saw people helping each to rebuild a few building that were destroyed. The town didn't look deserted anymore since word got out that we killed most of the guys and we got their leader in prison.

I was walking around when I came across a park, with many beautiful trees, flowers and other plants. I saw a family having a picnic, children running around and couples holding hands walking together. It reminded me of Hinata and the festival. I really wish I hadn't lost the ring.

What surprised me was Katsuo. He was over by the biggest tree in the park (don't ask me what it was because I don't know). He was pacing back and forth, he looked...nervous.

"Hey! Katsuo!" I shouted as I ran over to where he was.

He looked up, "Oh, Naruto. Hi."

"What're you doing here?" I asked.

He looked around the park like he was looking for someone. "I-I'm waiting for somebody"

"Oh? And who is it that you're waiting for that you're this nervous?"  

"M-My girlfriend."

I grinned. "Is this like your first date or something?"

"N-No actually. We've been dating for about 4 years.

I was shocked. But why was he so nervous then?

"Then why do you look so nervous?"

"B-Because...I'm gonna propose!" He said. He seemed determined. 

"OH? Really!?" 

He nodded. "Naruto, you have a girlfriend right? What's her name Hinata?"

"Yeah." I replied. 

"S-So I know that you haven't proposed before...but do you have any tips? Uh, like how I should approach this.?" Katsuo was blushing now.  

I sighed as I looked down at the ground.

"What is it Naruto?" He asked.

"I'm honestly the last person you should be asking about stuff like this." I confessed.

"Why? What has the great hero of the war done?" He said kind of sarcastically.

"I already have tried proposing."

Katsuo gasped, "Did she reject you?"

I looked back up at him and scratched the back of my neck. "No. You see I never did...I was supposed to propose during a big festival we went to a couple days ago but...I...."

"You what?"

"I ended up losing the darn ring!"

He stood there in silence. He face didn't have any emotion. Maybe anger. 

"That why you didn't propose! Because you lost a ring!"

"What do you mean 'because you lost the ring'. The ring is the most important part!" I growled.

He took a deep breath. "You really think that's the most important part? Seriously?"

All I could do was nod.

"Damn it. The ring isn't even important at all...It's the love you share. You can't propose to someone you don't love now can you? The ring isn't important Naruto, it's how you feel about each other. Sure, if you see a women wearing an engagement, that means she's engaged but that doesn't make her in engaged...It's just proof that she is... The ring, isn't what makes someone engaged. It's just proof that they are. Someone might not being wearing a ring but for all you know they're engaged! Proof, Naruto, proof. That's what I believe." Mr. Love Expert explained.

I thought about what he said. Proof...

"Look it, I don't even have a ring...I can't afford one, but something like that isn't going to stop me... I'm going to ask her to marry me... Because I'm not letting a ring be the cause of our engagement...our love will be."

It took me some time to digest what he had and when I was about to say something I heard someone call my name.

"Oi, Naruto!" It was Shikamaru.

I turned around to see him a few meters away. " Shikamaru? What is it?"

"We're leaving now so get your stuff packed up and let's get going."

"Now? Already? I thought we weren't leaving until 4pm?" I asked.

"Yeah, we were. But Kiba and Hiromichi said that they're fine to get going now. Plus we want to get back to the Leaf before it gets dark. We'll meet in front of the entrance where we came in, ok?"

"Alright." I answered and Shikamaru went off.

I turned back around to Katsuo, "I'll see you later, ya know?"

He nodded. "Yes. It was nice meeting you Naruto."

"Good luck with your girl." I said with a smirk.

"Yeah...and Naruto?"

"Yeah, what is it?"

"You should propose to your girlfriend. If she really loves you, then she'll say yes. Even if you don't have a ring."

"Because the ring is just proof?" I asked.

"Yeah... Because the ring is just proof." Katsuo agreed.

We said our goodbyes, then I made my way back to the room I was staying in and grabbed my bag. I took one last visit and said my farewells to Haruna and she and her guards thanked me. After that, I headed over to the entrance of the town, where I was supposed to meet Shikamaru, Kiba, Akamaru and Hiromichi.