9: "Thank you"

Your POV:

I run up to them excitedly.

"Heyyy!" I greet them. "Did I come at the wrong time?" I ask looking at the awkwardness that may have been caused by me.

"No, it's cool. I'll tell you later" Kenma replies. I look at both in confusion. We all head to school in silence. The whole week was pretty much awkward, hanging around with them. I took the coach's offer and he said:

"I will talk to a nearby school if you can come to practice with their girls' team, they haven't competed in the prefecture yet but this years group looks promising, plus there will be a variety of opportunities for you to learn"

He has been too kind to me and I can't wait to take part. I haven't told many people about volleyball, including my mum. She has been working very late. Sometimes night shifts, sleeping over at her work or her sister's place in the centre of Tokyo where her work is. Lately, I have been eating alone and finally getting organised by preparing some lunch. Food. My stomach grumbles breaking my trance and the painful silence we all endured, followed by Kuroo's laugh, as we walk home.

"So Y/N, we used to walk down everyday from school and to school, how come we have never seen you around?"

"Oh, I just used to be very late." I smile and scratch the back of my head in shame.

"Yet you have made it a routine to come and meet us, now you get to school on time?"

"Yea" I laugh "Sometimes even early. The staff at the reception gasp in surprise every time I enter before the bell. I used to be their daily, you could say 'favourite', visitor" I explain. Even though I have known them for a few days, not much has changed, except Kenma. He seemed to open up more each time I talked to him. He has also proven to be a great teacher at volleyball, although I doubt, I would be a setter like him, and my serves suck. My stomach begs for food and I grab it in attempt to stop the ghastly noise escaping.

"You hungry?" Kenma asks politely.

"Yea a bit, I can prepare some food as soon as I get home." I shrug. Some food mainly included instant ramen that my mum would've yelled at me for stashing all this time. I lower my head. "Definitely not the food I should be eating for volleyball training" I mutter to myself.

"Huh?" Kenma and Kuroo look at my in confusion.

"What do you mean?" asks Kenma.

"Oh" I laugh nervously "My mum hasn't been home in a couple of days, so I've been making myself some food. Although it hasn't been much" I say "mostly instant ramen" I mutter in shame.

"You've been living alone for a few days?" Kenma asks which a concerned look on his face.

"Yea." I look down. I haven't told this to anyone either. I wish I didn't. I hate pity. Kenma looks at Kuroo, they exchange a small supportive smile that I haven't seen in both of them in a while. Kenma picks up his phone stalling behind us as Kuroo continues to walk with me.

"I'll be with you in just a second" Kenma says as he gives me a small reassuring smile. What are they up to? Me and Kuroo approach the radio tower and Kenma runs up to us after taking a minute long call. It was really difficult to make out anything of what he was saying, but I was sure that I would find out soon. "I didn't want to promise anything if my mum didn't give me permission in advance, but she is making some Yakitori and she asked if you wanted to join us for dinner, you too Kuroo. Y/N, I hope you don't mind, I told her about your mum and she also asks if she can call yours to come and stay over as long as you want until your mum gets back" Kenma smiles widely.

"You didn't have to do that" I mutter shyly. It was awfully nice of him, but I feel like a burden.

"No its no problem" Kenma reassures me. Some decent food would be nice. They walked me home and before we parted I gave Kenma my phone number and my mum's number to relay onto his mum. "I'll text you when your mum picks up. We will come and pick you up."

"It would be probably dark by then" Kuroo adds. I nod in agreement.

"Thank you." I smile and wave to them as water suddenly fills my eyes. I turn around quickly and walk into the house and lock the door. I sit down to take off my shoes and the tears form, spilling from my eyes. I didn't know how much it was affecting me until now. The reason why I even joined them at first: to break up the routine, divert my attention from the emptiness in the house, from missing my mum. She said she would be back soon, two weeks at most. I assured her I could take care of myself. But now... look at me... I am a mess. But Kenma, Kuroo..."Thank you" I whisper to them again.