five.

A/N: at first I was like "I don't want these chapters to be too long, I'll stick at between 2k-3k words" and then this one came in at 5k, lol.

--

"Why do I feel like you're really good at air hockey because you're Canadian, and you're only picking it so you win?" Camila asked.

Shawn actually laughed, a lovely sound that Camila vowed to hear more of. When he laughed, he'd tilt his head, making his curls ruffle. She resisted the urge to reach out. They weren't there yet.

"Ice hockey is way harder. You'll be really good at air—everyone is." Shawn said. "I have to get us some tokens. See if you can snag a hockey table before the kids take over."

Camila scouted out a pair of preteens boys who were just leaving one of the hockey tables. She made her way over to claim it, but stopped in her tracks as she realized it wasn't just a random parent playing on one of the machines. It was her parent.

"Papi? What are you doing here?" Camila looked up at his screen. He was playing Doodle Jump.

"Mila! I am winning!" Alejandro held up a long roll of tickets proudly.

"...Congratulations." Camila smirked. "Mom will love the glow bracelet you get with those."

"Well, now some are for you!" He began to tear off a chunk of the tickets, but Camila stopped him.

"No, Papi, I don't want—"

"Do you want some tokens, then?" He shook the paper cup and tokens rattled inside. "I have plenty. Where's Sofia? Split these with her."

"I—"

"Hey, sorry, the change machine was being weird." Shawn rounded the corner carrying a cup of tokens in one hand. He slipped his hand in Camila's before catching sight of Alejandro.

"Sofia isn't here with you, is she?" Alejandro looked at Camila.

"Yeah, Papi." Camila quipped sarcastically, rolling her eyes. "She's in line at Pac Man."

She swore her father was stifling a laugh, but he eyed Shawn skeptically now. Camila could feel his hand tightening in hers. This was a sure-fire way for someone to get scared off, but luckily it seemed her father actually didn't want that.

"Are you kids hungry? They're doing unlimited shrimp downstairs." Alejandro began winding up his long roll of tickets to save.

"No thanks, Papi." Camila chuckled. "Come on, Shawn, I still have to beat you at air hockey."

"Uh, nice to meet you, sir." Shawn called over his shoulder as Camila pulled him away.

"Hey, watch out for her, make sure she doesn't fall in anything again!"

"Sorry about my father. I have no idea why he's here." Camila's face burned as she stood at one end of the hockey table.

It could have been worse, she realized. He could have started grilling Shawn, demanding to know what they were doing and how late they planned on being out. But maybe he actually did think of Camila as an adult. He did used to do that grilling thing to Sofia more than her, but only because she came sneaking home after curfew so often.

"I get how parents are." Shawn chuckled as he tipped a few of the tokens out onto his palm and put them into the slot on the side of the table.

Camila found herself admiring his hands. His fingers were so long, and there was that tattoo of a bird nestled in the crook by his thumb. She looked up, blushing when she realized he'd be talking to her.