26. Right Here

SUMMER

Days pass as Matt and I find a sense of normal that works for us. If he works, I have Landon and if I have things to do I plan them at night so Matt can pick him up on his way home from work. It's different, but it's starting to feel normal. Matt has backed off considerably and I can tell he's just trying to get his life back together and be the best dad he can to Landon.

When I get to Brian's after a day of running errands, he's standing in the kitchen with his phone pressed to his ear. I try not to interrupt as I step into the room and throw my purse into one of the chairs and struggle with the shopping bags while trying to stay quiet. My stomach growls and I want to make Italian for dinner.

"Glad to hear everything is going smooth. I'll be at the banquet hall a few hours early to make sure everything is ready." Brian hangs up the phone and turns to me. We've found a routine ourselves and living under the same roof has gotten easier.

"What's up?" He asks as he tosses his phone down on the counter and comes over to take some of the grocery bags out of my arms.

"Thanks. Just stopped and picked up some stuff for dinner. I was thinking chicken Alfredo. Did Matt pick up Landon already?" Once I have a free hand I brush some hair out of my face.

"No, he's upstairs taking a nap."

"Good, I was hoping I'd get to see him before he left." I start busying myself putting away groceries as Brian watches me.

"So, I know this isn't the best time to ask, but have you decided about the firm's party? It's in two days."

"I actually put a dress on hold yesterday at a boutique in town. I just, I don't want it to cause trouble with Matt, you know? Things are settling and it's nice to not be fighting everyday."

"Listen, if you want me to assure him we are going as just friends, I will." I raise an eyebrow at him.

"Do you believe that?" Brian comes over to me and takes my shoulders in his hands.

"Do I wish you were going as my official date? Yes. Do I wish I got to kiss you all I wanted all night, yes, but I'm not going to come between you two until you tell me you're done." I think over his words before answering.

"Then I'll go with you. As long as you know what we are."

"I promise, I know we are just friends. I'll talk to Matt when he picks up Landon." Brian walks away from me, pulling out his phone once more as he goes.

•••

A few hours later I'm sitting in the guest room going through laundry when I hear the doorbell ring from downstairs. I make my way down the staircase and see Brian letting Matt in.

"Can we talk for a second?" Brian asks his former best friend.

"Sure, what's up?" Matt glances my way and smiles as I get to the bottom step. My heart flutters in my chest at that look.

"Hey." I greet, trying my best to hide my happiness at seeing him.

"Landon ready?"

"He will be in just a second. He's been asking to watch the Lion King all afternoon so I packed it for him. Maybe put it on before bed?"

"Yeah, I can do that. What did you want to talk about?" Matt turns to Brian and I want to say something, anything to keep his attention on me but I swallow those feelings. We aren't together anymore and this is how normal separated parents deal with each other. I head back upstairs and leave them to speak and find Landon sitting on the floor of his temporary room, his face scrunched unhappily.