Chapter 17

Finn felt the flames of anger pulsing against his temple. Mary Montgomery was pushing her luck.

The woman seemed to have an uncanny ability to interrupt him and Emily at the worst ... or was it the best... possible times.

After almost a decade, he had kissed the woman he loved. That one act spoke volumes, covering more ground than all the things Finn had planned on saying.

Had she received the message? Finn was not sure. The look on her face as the door closed made him doubtful. Emily had looked pained like she regretted something. Severely.

And now Mary was nattering away in his ear, demanding to know why he had been kissing her sister. Because I love her, Finn wanted to yell. But he kept silent.

The room started to spin a little and Finn sank into a nearby chair. Get it together he reprimanded himself as he tried to calm himself using a breathing technique he usually implemented on the battlefield. He had to remind himself not to listen to Mary Montgomery.

With the holiday weekend upon them, Finn was working double shifts at the bar

With the holiday weekend upon them, Finn was working double shifts at the bar. For the most part, it did not bother him. He was glad for the opportunity to make some extra cash. Saving for a cell phone was now a priority. Giving Emily the ability to reach him whenever she needed him top of mind.

Unfortunately, extra work meant less time with Emily. Her father was having a big bash at their lake house and his girlfriend was helping with the preparations.

Finn failed to suppress a grin when he thought of Emily as his girlfriend. He had a girlfriend. An amazing, gracious, sexy girl who chose to be with him. Every time the door to the bar opened, Finn's eyes strayed towards it, hoping Emily would drop by for at least a drink or a kiss.

Unfortunately, the other Montgomery sister showed up instead. Decked out in a bright pink sundress, Mary sat at the bar, sipping her iced tea. Finn noticed her watching Simon, following him around the room with interest. When his brother chanced to turn around, Mary averted her gaze, finding her nails to be of extreme interest.

Simon ignored Mary, meaning Finn took her order and kept her drink filled. Mary barely managed a thank you each time he topped up her glass.

Somehow, they had gotten off on the wrong foot. Emily swore Mary would warm up to him. All she needed was to get to know him. Finn doubted it. Besides, how was he supposed to make a good impression if Mary was never around?

Emily always wanted to spend time at the boathouse, claiming she liked it there. Finn found it hard to believe. With that huge mansion of hers, the lake house, what could there possibly be at his one-room shack to entice her? But her insistence also suited Finn - he had no desire to visit her family home. It reminded him of their differences and everything he could not give Emily. Still, the thought Emily might be keeping him away from her family had started to take root.