DRESSED IN WHITE

My jaw drops to the floor. This woman, standing in front of me is a TOTAL GODDESS! 

Will's could-be girlfriend, Linda, wears a white off-shouldered body con dress with matched white stilettos. Her auburn hair with blonde highlights is perfectly curled and neatly clipped back in a half up half down braid. White rhinestone earrings dangle from her ears that match with her pendant. 

In front of her, I look like a train wreck with my half sweat-smudged makeup, blue polka dotted dress and a messy bun that sticks up on top of my head. I am not even wearing any ornaments!

'Hello, I am Linda!' she slowly draws forth her hand to shake with mine. She wears a golden bracelet on her wrist. Her hands are so thin and bony compared to mine.

'Anna, Anna Hart' I introduce myself.

'Oh no need for the introduction sweety! I know all about you! This man here won't shut up ever since he met you. His instagram says it all' She smiles

Ever since he met me? 

My curiosity takes the better of me and I couldn't help but ask James, 'You know Linda?'

'Yes, this is Linda Walt. My best friend from high school!' 

'Yeah 'best friend'!' Linda scoffs 'If I had been your best friend, you would have kept contact with me all these years' she accuses.

'Oh don't start with that! Ever since you left for San Fransisco, you neither called me nor texted me!' James retorts.

I don't know whether I am being paranoid or actually the context of their argument is not only friendship, but something else.

'You could have done that! Oh sorry I forgot, egotistical maniac James Holden had too much at stake to just greet me a friendly hello' Linda is trying to keep her cool but I can sense she is on the verge of losing it.

There is too much tension in the air. I have no idea how to diffuse it. 

"Too much at stake?" James almost growls. 'What are you trying to imply?' he tries his best not to yell.

Oh my god. This is getting worse!

'Hey! You guys want something?' I try to not sound panicked.

Their heads turn towards me at once. I flash a smile towards them trying to be assertive. They both awkwardly smile back.

'No no. I was just about to leave it's almost three fifteen. I need to be back home by four.' she says to me, still smiling. Her head turns towards James, 'You see, I have a date with my boyfriend!' she adds through her gritted teeth.

'Oh.' I respond instead of James. I don't know why I did that.

'Hey, Anna I just need you to fill out this application form quickly for the job purpose.' Linda tells me.

'Okay'

I quickly take out a pen from my purse and fill out the form. Thank God it's just one sheet and most of the questions are pretty straight forward.

I sign as fast as I can and hand it to her before another argument arises.

She puts the paper inside her black leather bound folder and looks up taking a deep breath.

'I should be on my way out' her voice is clipped back.

'I'll show you the way out' James tries to sound polite.

Linda sighs, 'No James, I think you have said and done enough'

She expectantly looks back at James before vanishing out the door. James stands almost like statue staring off into space.

He walks towards the door to lock it. He stands in front of the door for awhile. I have never seen James so cut off like this before.

I walk towards him and hug him from behind. He turns around to face me, I kiss him. But something is off. He is not holding me neither is he kissing me back. I feel embarrassed so I break apart. I look up at him and his eyes are glistening with tears. I have hardly seen James cry. He pretends to be so tough on the outside but I know he is a very sensitive guy inside. A guy who loves kids, a guy who loves to cook, a guy who loves to live in the world of books. I know he can spend hours talking to and taking care of his plants. He never knew his mother up until last year when his father broke to him the news of her death, maybe this is why he visits old age homes very Sunday and takes care of the old ladies. He says they are like the family he never had. James is the most caring person in my life. Seeing him like this breaks my heart into a million pieces.

I hold his face in my tiny hands. A tear rolls down his cheeks.

'I-' he didn't let me finish.

'I'll tell you every thing' his voice trembles.

I nod and he hugs me.