A Taste of Disaster

DRISHTI'S POV

The ladies washroom at the airport was mercifully empty, even the blue clad cleaners were not around.
The washroom was quite spacious, with three huge mirrors and adjoining sink cabinets occupying half of it. The other half had six adjacent sea green toilet stalls.
The plastered walls of the washroom were painted a disturbingly bright green, with only the black dustbins as rare breaks in a sea of green.

I ran into the nearest toilet stall and slammed the door shut. I sat upon the toilet seat, bent over and covered my face with my hands.

My entire world was falling apart. As tears rolled down my cheeks, my mind found the urge to replay everything once again, for the umpteenth time.

I descended at the Bali airport sometime after two, accompanied by Divya and Romi.
The cool night air glided against my cheeks as I got down the metal steps of the makeshift staircase, my heart bouncing with joy. The day had finally arrived - the day when the biggest dream of my life would come true.
I had probably never been so happy in my entire life of twenty one years.
As I made my way towards the main waiting area of the huge airport, I felt the excitement coursing through my veins.
Finally, after a long wait of two years, I would be seeing the love of my life, Akash. And after an entire week of sight seeing, I would be marrying him.
It was a destination wedding, just like I had dreamed and I couldn't be any more elated. I smiled to myself at the thought of what married life might be.
Some people, here, might point out that I was marrying too soon, but once you find the right person, there is no better time other than the present.
I made my way through the thinning crowd and proceeded towards the luggage area.

Divya - Di! You look so excited! I am wondering what will happen between you and him after marriage.

She nudged me with her elbow and I saw Romi laughing silently.

Me - Divi! Is that how you should talk with your elder sister?

But even I could not stop smiling and we ended up laughing.

Romi - Di, Divya, I will get our luggage. We have a blue suitcase, right? You can go and get some coffee.

Me - Romi, yes, we have a navy blue suitcase. And I have tied a small yellow tag to it, just in case someone on the flight had a navy blue suitcase. We would not mess up and take the wrong suitcase then.

Romi nodded slightly and walked off. Divya shouldered her backpack and started walking towards the small, dimly lit coffee shops littered around the central area of the airport.
I follwed her.
She stopped in front of a small Starbucks and we went inside. The shop was almost vacant except for an elderly couple sitting at a table in the middle row.
I found myself a seat near the glass wall of the shop, while Divya walked up to the counter.
I pulled out my phone and dialled Akash. The phone ringed, but no one picked up. I frowned and tried another time.
'The number you have dialled is switched off...'

Divya - What's wrong, di? You look worried!

I had not even noticed when she had returned from the counter and joined me at the table, placing a cup of coffee in front of me.

Me - Akash is not picking up the phone. He was supposed to come and pick us up, but...

Divya - Maybe he has planned a surprise for you -

She winked at me meaningfully. I frowned again.

Me - I don't know, he is not that kind of a person who plans surprises -