Chapter ten

"The dust has accepted you," Tinkerbell says with the biggest smile her tiny face can bare. "Congratulation. It is an honor to be accepted. There have been a fair amount that have not been successful in gaining the blessing of the faeries and the island, as darkness and hate dwells deep in their heart."

I'm only just calming down from being kidnapped in the dark of night and carried though the forest to an unknown destination. My head is reeling from what Tinkerbell has said. There are many things going through my head and many questions at the moment that I want to ask but one thought dominates the rest and climbs to my lips.

"What exactly have I been trusted with?" I ask as I'm not overly sure. I have a rough idea but I need the green faerie to confirm my thoughts.

"You, Kyla Shade, have been trusted with the secret of Neverland. This island is hidden, cloaked in a powerful magic that predates all of us, making it impossible to find, unless you already know where it is," Pan explains. "There are many people who want to find this island because of the faeries. They want the pixie dust. The Lost Boys are charged with protecting the faeries and the dust from danger."

He lowers his eyes before he continues. "Pirates tend to be the biggest danger. Their greed and bloodthirsty ways put us all in danger. You aren't the only pirates that have been here seeking the faeries and their dust."

I go to protest as that isn't why we came here, but to be perfectly honest, we might have been. My father clearly knows about the dust and the faeries and could have very well have brought us here to harvest it without telling me. He knows I would've objected and made it difficult for him. 

I may be loyal to him and be is 'doting daughter' but stealing faerie dust...

I know what kind of magic faerie dust is and in the wrong hands, it can be turned into a weapon rather than a gift. I may look for the best in my father but even I can't deny that he would seek to use the dust for selfish purposes.

"You weren't greeted very kindly and I treated you very poorly upon your arrival and for that I apologize. But I'm sure you can understand why. When I brought you to camp, the boys were unsure about you being here and were weary and seemed to mirror my behavior, but after getting to know you they came to trust you," Pan continues.

"They were that ones who asked me if we could initiate you into our society. I had already been thinking about it but hearing the boys' enthusiasm made me want to do it. You are the first pirate to ever undertake this test. In fact, you are the first girl to undergo this trial. There have been other girls on the island but none have undergone this before. You are the only pirate ever to know the location of Pixie Hollow. If you agree to stay, you will be trusted with the secrets of the faeries and entrusted with keeping our safety."

"And if I had failed? Or if I don't agree?" I ask, I'm a little defensive but I want to know what would happen. I doubt they'd keep me around or be as hospitable as they have if I were rejected by the pixie dust.

"Your memory would have been wiped and Peter would have had you sent far away from here," Tinkerbell says plainly.

"Does that mean I can never leave the island? That I can never return to the Jolly Roger?" I ask. As much as I enjoy being here, I miss my father terribly and I can't stand the thought of never seeing him again.

"You're never going to be able to leave anyway, not unless you find a way off the island, but no, the pixie dust won't stop you from leaving," Pan says. "It only means you are now bound to the island. If you die, a part of the island die with you, and the faeries magic lessens. That is why we stay on the island. There is few dangers here that will harm us, apart from the pirates. Which is why you weren't greeted too kindly."