Chapter fourteen

The next few weeks just fly past. At least I think it's been a few weeks. I really don't have a clue anymore. I've given up trying to keep track. It's near impossible. Jinx and I have grown closer as friends. I've met all the boys that Pan threw out of his exclusive team of Lost Boys and I've heard all their stories. A lot of these boys have been here for a bloody long time.

And for the first time since I arrived on this island, I actually feel like I belong. I was starting to feel that way with Pan and the Lost Boys but that was cut short. I'm still a bit weary after what happened with the Lost Boys repeating itself with Jinx's crew. 

Despite this, I've managed to make a place for myself here and integrated myself really well with all of the boys. I'm a little unsure however how I fit in with the dynamic here. I taught weaponry and battle skills and strategy with the Lost Boys as well as them teaching me but these boys don't seem to need my help.

The Lost Boys are positioned around our little colony of tree houses, hidden from sight most of the time. Obviously Pan knew exactly where Jinx's base was since he found me quiet easily.

The Lost Boys haven't moved from their positions apart from changing shifts. I personally have seen Slightly, Felix and a few others. They just stared at me not saying a thing. I'm guessing they're under strict orders from Pan. 

I haven't seen Pan since that night but I know I hurt him. I didn't mean to. At the time I just wanted him to leave me alone, but now I just want to apologize. 

"Kyla?" Jinx calls somewhere from behind me. "You coming?"

"Yeah," I answer. "Just a second." I grab the throwing knifes Jinx gave me and double check that my new sword of still strapped to my hip and follow the boys out of Base. They venture deep into the forest, barely making a sound. They all have their weapons drawn, some with bows, others with knifes and daggers and a few with swords.

There are more boys than I first thought. When I first arrived at Base, I only saw about maybe 20 boys, not even. But these hunting trips have shown me that there are heaps of boys cast out from Pans camp, 60 or 70 odd boys. I didn't realize that there had been so many rejected by the pixie dust. Tinkerbell wasn't joking when she said many had been found untrustworthy.

I know the Lost Boys have followed us everywhere. Well, actually they follow me everywhere. They don't care about Jinx and his boys. In a way, it makes me feel safer knowing they are close. I know Pan sent then to watch me but if I were in danger would they help? I don't know.

The boys all suddenly move out and into small hunting parties going in different directions, as they always do. Jinx glance over at me and nods before he and his group of four separate out, heading west.

I climb a tree and go on look out. I perch myself in a high, sturdy branch and look out over the forest. I enjoy being look out as it gives me time to myself away from all the boys. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find my way back to the little stream. Partially cause Jinx won't let me out alone and the other part because I haven't been able to find it. 

It annoys me that Jinx is keeping me under his thumb. I understand why but at the same time it is getting to me that I'm being protected and watched constantly. I feel like I'm being put in a cage again. It took some convincing for Jinx to allow me to even come out on these hunts.

I really enjoy this time as I can just think. I usually hum to myself assorted sea shanties that my father taught me when I was a little girl. It makes me a little sad. I don't know how long it has been but I miss my father so much. The pain of not being able to see him never seems to dull but I keep myself busy to keep my mind off of it.